Friday, October 20, 2006

On the forced feeding of services

I'm a long term Verizon Wireless customer. Yesterday I visited the Verizon Wireless store. My son's phone fell victim to a dramatic situation that resulted in its being tossed out the bus window. My husband's phone has suffered some abuse as well, but still usable as opposed to my son's MIA phone.

I picked out my phones which had the characteristic $50 rebate and the 2 year contract. I was then told that they would have to include a one month free trial of Vcast. I said no thank you, I didn't want it. The sales associate replied. "Okay, then, your phones just went up in price by $40."

I said, "This is nuts" and I walked out of the store. Why should I have to accept something that I know that I will not use and that requires me to "act" to avoid charges.? I'm still angry this morning. So much so that I'm tempted to buy my contracts out and switch to another service. Verizon has made a fortune off of me, and I find such "force feeding" of services poor customer relations. I'll complain to them today.
-------------------------

Heart pounding drama huh! I've concluded that my issue was due to being at an "authorized reseller". the location changed from a company-owned to an AR. I went on line, merely clicked "decline VCAST" and all was right as rain. Now, my son has to wait a few days before the phone comes but (1) I did not have to wait; (2) transaction took 5 minutes as opposed to 50; and (3) no rebate to hassle with; it is instantly given. Love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently had a phone service problem -- a recurring problem, actually: anytime it rained, my phone service stuttered and sometimes just went MIA.

Repair approval was, somehow, never, ever forthcoming -- until I wrote a letter to Verizon's CEO, Ivan Seidenberg.

Talk about Lights! Camera! Action!

Several people came, checked the outside box and admitted that after over 70 years of service (they built them strong and lasting in those days) a replacement was definitely called for. Lots of mold and corrosion over the decades, apparently. Not long after that, three men came to install a brand new box. Finally!

A few years ago I wrote to Mr. S. for a different reason: to compliment a worker who had gone above and beyond with something that needed doing. Mr. Seidenberg actually bothered to write to thank me for my letter complimenting his worker.

Verizon problems? I'd suggest that you just go to the top.

Leisa♠ said...

Nona...I love my Verizon service. I could have bought several homes for what I've paid them over the years....which is precisely why I was so incensed. I felt that my long-time, trusting relationship was violated. And you owe feedback to these companies.

Today I gave $10 each to two folks delivering furniture. $20 bucks is nothing to me, but it made their day...they said, thank you for putting a happy ending on an otherwise very bad day. Business is person to person. I don't care what you do--catching rats or arguing cases before the Supreme Court. Putting forth your best without expectation of recompense is defining of integrity of work-purpose--more simply put...taking pride in your work. The good job done for the sake of the good job. Those guys went out of their way to ensure that they didn't ding the walls or the furniture. They were not there long but it made me feel good to reward well-executed work.

T said...

I just received vouchers from litigation against Verizon. I think the total comes to $42.00
Maybe Verizon tried a well-worn democratic party strategy: re-distribution of wealth.