Sunday, September 30, 2007

Saturday Dog Transport

12 puppies in 7 carriers.
They whimpered.
I sand to them "the puppy song" (1)
They slept.

Even when I had to lock up the %#@ brakes and all of the transports lurched forward, they were quiet.

Two dogs were unable to make the transport due to lack of volunteers. They were euthanized. A fact of life. An unfortunate fact of life for unwanted animals. Unwanted, unsponsored people generally die a slower death from hunger and disease.

If a civilization is to be judged how it treats its most vulnerable members--all living things--I fear that we will be judged harshly. Deservedly so. And sometimes, I find the shame overwhelming. That, my friends, is always a call to action.







(1) this is a silly song that I sing to my own dogs. Feel free to use it with real babies or your furry friends.

Yes I am a baby,
little baby.
The sweetest little baby,
little baby.
A bu, bu, bu, bu baby,
little baby.
The sweetest little baby,
bu, bu baby.

No comments: