Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Various Ruminations

Dollar Index: Roger Nusbaum had a post regarding another's prediction that the dollar index could go to 66. Kind of scary when you think what it would mean for oil. If the USD were to tumble to this level (17.5% decline from current levels) then that would portend higher oil at $91 per barrel (assuming all other things remain constant).

Bernanke surely has a sleepless night or two himself. The dollar vs the economy--surely feels like a King Solomonesque decision. Sacrificing one or the other is tough. Oil at $91will likely have bigger effects on the economy than leaving interest rates unchanged. I still cannot believe the increases in simple things such as milk (50%) and bacon (25%)over the past year. Events and information will unfold as they will. Makes me glad that I'm a minion.

Daisey: What a joy it has been to bring this dog into our lives. She is thriving in her new home. It has been good for Macy to have another dog in the house that interacts with her. My previous geriatric bird dogs did little interacting with Macy. Macy's main canine companion was the dog next door, Lacy. While some of the interaction between Daisey and Macy looks like a Michael Vick exposition, in general, they are very playful and loving with each. Those dog-dominance "work-outs" are a bit unsettling. I did notice a small tear on Daisey's ear, but it was already healing. One time my dog, Heidi, got into a smackdown with a neighbors very nasty, mean labrador while we were walking on the road. It was unprovoked by Heidi. She held her own but ended up with a very large (1.5") in her ear that required stitches.

Macy continues to sleep on the bed. Daisey sleeps beside the bed, though, she gets in the bed in the a.m. to "snuggle". Housebreaking continues. Daisey seems to get up in the middle of the night to piddle. I will likely tether her to my bed so she doesn't wander (this is why professionals recommend crates!). She gets taken out at night, but she slurps galoobs of water. I don't like to limit water, but those midnight piddles are not welcome. Thankfully, number 2 deposits have been quelled. I have no carpet in my home. Carpet and animals do not mix.

I've been taking them for walks. I ordered and received my second Flexi-leash. If you have dogs, a retractable leash is welcome. Spring for the more expensive Flexi-leash. Terrific quality. Pet Mountain has them at a discount. Unfortunately, my right shoulder has been injured, so it is hard to walk these dogs with an injured wing. They are pretty good about not pulling, but I have to pull them in when cars come by (though not many).

I simply cannot walk Daisey during the active butterfly time. She is mesmerized by them. The stark contrast between breeding of Daisey (English Setter) and Macy (Am. Bulldog mix) is amazing. Every fluttering insect attracts her gaze. And these dogs go immediately into stealth mode. They instantly freeze and point. Then, step by step, inch by inch they move in slow motion. It's like watching a cat. Then they go into fast forward mode! Macy could not care less about butterflies, but boy does she like to chase motorcycles.

My BIL/SIL have invited my husband and I to Hatteras the second week in October. The weather will be perfect (unless there is a storm brewing). We are trying to figure out what to do with these dogs. My kids are old enough to fend for themselves (under the watchful eye of my neighbors who will look for odd things--like cars and parties!) for a few nights. But these damn dogs are like children. Mark and I also have our 25th anniversary (and I've not planned a thing yet!) on October 1. I guess we'll figure something out.

Earthquake in Indonesia: 7.9 magnitude earthquake the day before Ramadan. Tsunami alert. 230K lives were lost in the last tsunami that hit Sumatra and surrounding area.


1 comment:

Big John said...

Oil may go up if the dollar drops in the short term. Historically oil prices tend to follow the CRB indexes, although its price will swing due to geopolitical events. Since 2003 all commodities have taken off inclusive of oil because of the global economy being so strong.

If there is a global recession, oil would go down and the dollar would most likely go up on the safe haven play.