Sunday, August 15, 2010

Notes from my Life: Starting a New Decade

As I approach my 50th birthday (today--technically 4:01 p.m. EDT), I'm feeling a bit as if I need to makes some resolutions.  I'm not sure if 50 is the new 40.  I am sure that I'm newly 50; and trampling new ground in old skin is not such a bad thing.

On Friday, I had lunch with a good friend of mine.  It was not a the place that we had planned to go--that restaurant was on an August hiatus.  We tried another restaurant, Mexican, thinking that a margarita on a hot day would be quite nice.  The restaurant disappointed in every way. Our margaritas were $11 a piece.  They tasted like $2 margaritas. Nevertheless, our lunch was enjoyable because it was an opportunity to be with my friend.

Clearly getting older is the opportunity for our friendships to grow deeper and richer. 

I started a Fit by 50 blog two years ago.  I am 50, but I'm not fit--my own fault.  Lack of motivation and discipline.  Failing to boundary other pulls on my time.  Enough self-flagellation.

I awoke this morning to the Hound of the Baskerville wail from Macy.  We thought it was the paper man.  Rather, it was someone planting flamengos in my drought-stricken front lawn.  Thank goodness Mark looked before opening the door for the dogs!



The flamingos are courtesy of my two good internet friends, Iggy and Viscous, from Slope of Hope.  It does look like a birthday greeting meant for them!  I'm not sure when they come back to gather the flamingos.  I need to ensure that my dogs are in!

My family is given over to much distress about what to get me for any type of present.  My daughter, who does not suffer from this paralysis, always manages to stumble upon the right thing--not only for me, but for every family member.  She found in an antique place the following print:




 It's a photographic engraving of Thomas Blinks', The Rose.  It is printed by T. Ross and Sons and copyrighted by Moss and Tooth and Sons.  The frame has been harshly treated, and in general the print looks quite old.  The gold looks like a gold tape with what appears to be hand drawn charchoal lines as a border around the tape as well as on an outside border. It looks to be quite old.  However, for all of its blemishes and age, it is still beautiful.  It is going to look just perfect it my office, and it is a gift that I will cherish forever.

My sister sent me a stunning vase of  flowers.  They will delight me all week.

Tonight we will do a low key dinner at a Mexican restaurant.

Half a century....Truthfully, I don't feel any different than I did at any other time in my life other than each year I'm more comfortable in my own skin.