Monday, May 05, 2008

BadTravel Karma

Today my son was rear ended on the way to school. I received "the call" this morning at a time that I knew that he could not have made it to school. I answered the phone (seeing his cell phone number on the caller ID), "are you okay". His answer: "I'm okay; the car is totaled."

There were three of them involved in the accident--none of them hurt. My son was stopped in a line of cars behind a bus. A pickup truck was behind him. The road is one of the major ones through our county, and the one which most students have to drive to get to school, and buses have to travel and pick up students along the way.

A girl was driving 58 mph--reasonable speed--into the sun with a dirty windshield. She never saw that the cars ahead of here were stopped. She slammed into the back of the pickup which subsequently hit my son. Her airbags deployed. Thank goodness she was wearing a seat belt and was driving a car with air bags. The back bumper of our car was still attached to the front bumper of the truck. The car was about 15 feet forward.

Behind the young woman was a state trooper (hence our knowing the speed of travel). He saw the entire thing unfold. Luckily, the volunteer fire department was close by. So help was immediately at the scene. I'm sure that all of them will be sore tomorrow.

So my used car lot is less one car. It is a 1993 Taurus SHO. Bought and paid for, convenient and safe (though likely too fast a car for my son--but he's been responsible).

Had he been the middle vehicle, the story would likely have a different ending.

No comments: