Thursday, November 02, 2006

Canadian Energy Trusts. . .

take it on the chin. If I understand it correctly, existing trusts will be taxed in four years while any new trusts get the tax shaft next year. Now this sort of thing plays right into my bias of following the stampede and looking for the carnage, so long as there is some risk mitigation. My expectation is that something happening in 4 years is not a reason to give up the ghost now.

In looking over the trusts, I elected to buy some ERF. Here's a look at the chart (Click to enlarge):


My average cost is $41.87 today. It closed at $42.29. They pay a .42 dividend on 11/08. Here's my thesis.:

Don Coxe (BMO Harris), who is no longer freely available, has been a huge proponent of geopolitically safe oil reserves. The Canadian oil plays fit that bill. I imagine though that any who have loaded the boat on these must be in pure agony now, for these oil trusts have declined 20+% over the news.

Now if my gourd is working correctly (and we are in the right season for gourds), the real risk is the price of oil, which I grant has been under much suspicion of late, and that's a discussion for another day. The price of oil affects earnings (near and far term) regardless of tax implications. And oil has been under pressure. But a 10% dividend rate is nothing to sniff at--and if in the US rates start to decline,--the search for yield will be relentless.

If there is such a thing as due process in Canada, there is a potential upside: the hew and cry may be so great that the politicians may come up with something more palatable for existing trusts while achieving their goal of abating the massive conversions to a trust.

In summary for ERF my investment thesis is
  • + dividend of .42/share provides downside protection of same (though the shares may dip post 11/08)
  • + greater clarity post exodus by clearer thinking may provide boost in share price
  • - oil price decrease will deflate shares as income will be reduced
  • +oil price increase will inflate shares..............
  • - hew and cry may result in some repeal or softening...think about what that might do (but I don't know the predispositions of the Canadian government, but I think that some mitigation via due process could very well be likely--though complete conjecture, it is a possibility).
I was listening to Peter Eliades today and was reminded of the psychology of the markets. Let's see what happens to the thesis above.

I found this article post post....I feel like my thinking is sound.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7BA46AED29-0D72-4965-82E9-E4F2CFD1FC57%7D

------------------------

An update on my other theses for IVGN and MIND. IVGN currently has an .82 (1.46%) per share gain over my entry point and MIND has a .04 (.4%) gain over my entry point. Pretty thin margins!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your approach!

I'm doing something that's somewhat similar.

Altri (MO) dropped very sharply on Oct. 25. I promptly bought -- and now I'm up almost 3%. (Caution though: MO went against me for a few days after my buy.)

Tellus (a Canadian company; symbol TU) plunged about 10 points yesterday. I checked the news on it; all I learned was that UBS downgraded TU to Neutral. All the other news ranged from o.k. (in my opinion) to very good.

I bought.

Today I'm up about 2% on TU.

I've made buys like this from time to time when I thought there was an overeaction. I recall making almost 10% on GM in (I think) two days a few months ago. (I might have held it only one day.)

I'm still holding MO and TU in my trading account. I don't have sell rules for quick profit deals. Any suggestions?? I'm trying to learn.

Meanwhile, I might jump into your jackboots and copy your ERF buy. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks for your blog. I like it very much -- and I love that beautiful flower.

Leisa♠ said...

gemma star, thank you for your nice comment.

In my limited experience, those bounces can be merely resting places on the way down further. That's why I'm watching IVGN so carefully.

Guidance on holding? I've nothing clever to offer. When my testicular fortitude was higher, I played the bounces with call options. If the stock has fundamental value and you have a long term horizon, I would think that the standard guidance of putting in protective stops would make sense. I generally do not buy these things unless I have some familiarity with the underlying stock/sector fundamentals.

Given that investing boils down to risk/reward, I would say that the ratio is favorable for the oil trusts in the short term.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

I've held TU since May of '05, purchased at about 32; I've enjoyed a helluva ride.

I was willing to risk this. Looking at today's news, it appears that TU, a Canadian company, was tarred by the taxation news. (It's a wireless provider, btw.)

I think you're right about charting. I have to develop some technical expertise and maybe that's going to be my pre-New Years and New Year's resolution.

I thought you might find the article below to be of interest.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ms/061103/177958.html?.v=1

Again, thanks for the advice!

GS

Anonymous said...

This just in! (See below.)

Now I understand why TU dropped: it was considering a change in its structure to take advantage of the now-in-question favorable tax structure available (or soon enough, not available, maybe, maybe not -- I can see why everyone is upset and confused!!)

I'm trying to decide whether to add more to my core (non-trade) account.

Thoughts?


http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/update-corrects-date-in-lede-to-friday/n20061103100809990006

Anonymous said...

btw, I'm anonymous: forget to mention that it's I in the above post.

Gemma Star

Leisa♠ said...

Gemma Star...I wouldn't know what to tell you. I suppose the question to ask about TU is whether there is a near term catalyst that will goose the stock.

I'm pleased to report that my ERF as of this moment 10.45 a.m. is up 7%. I did add a bit more at 43.87 today.

Anonymous said...

And my TU is lower....

Sigh.

Near term catalyst? If so, the CEO has whispered not a word to me....

Double sigh.