Friday, November 03, 2006

Pictures

I'm not great photographer, but I try. I went to Spain for 2 weeks on a wine tour. It was one of the most memorable things I have ever done. A splurge. No husband. No children. My goal was to master (okay learn) how to use my digital camera more facilely. I have an Olympus C-5060 (5.1 Megapixel).

The fetching woman below is Queen Isabel. I snapped it in Spain (May 2005), in the place of her tomb. I'm forgetting the name of the place, but it was a monastery outside of Segovia. The place was fascinating. All of the kings/queens of Spain were buried here. It was one of the most wondrous places I have seen. Stately, somber. Green marble alcoves housed majestic black caskets with brass trims were in the lower chapel. In the upper levels were all of the lesser wives and children, cousins, etc. Beautiful crypts with alabaster carvings or plain carved facings. It's a place where the quiet envelopes you. A peaceful place.

2 comments:

T said...

I really like Spain. Back in 94 I took the family to a villa overlooking Marbella for six weeks and branched out from there. The small towns were my favorite, but I admit I could have stayed at the Prado in Madrid four days instead of four hours on our trek back to the states. Quite interesting was having lunch at a small tapas, and in walks Sean Connery, who lived "up the hill" from our residence. We had a very nice chat - he is not as refined as portrayed on film. Well, this is your blog, not mine.With three teenage children, I had a "whine" tour, not a wine tour at times.

Leisa♠ said...

I remember the Prado well. It was too short a time there. We started out in Barcelona then went to Logrono, Penafiel then to Madrid.

My observations from Europe (and this was my first time) were (1) Europeans have a conviviality that we could surely learn from; (2) their cities are livable--beautiful public gardens, approachable, safe public spaces; (3) graffiti is a worldwide issue!

And T, please feel free to share your own experience at length.