Saturday, December 15, 2007

Plott Hounds

This interesting dog is not a breed that I've ever heard of. If you wish to read about this magnificent dog, you can read about it here. It is the official state dog of North Carolina. Apparently it is only one of four breeds originating in America. I'm not quite sure which other breeds there are, but I'll guess (1) American Bulldog and (2) Catahoula Leopard dog (State dog of Louisiana). Here's a blurb from the referenced link:

"The Plott Hound is the only American hound without British ancestry. The breed's designated name honors its American founders and family tree. Seven generations of the Jonathan Plott family, beginning in the 1750's, bred their dogs exclusively within the family. A mix of bloodhounds and curs reportedly comprised the original stock. The dog's working claim to fame is coldtrailing bear and raccoons in the Appalachian, Blue Ridge, and Great Smoky Mountains of the Eastern United States. The Plott Hound is American through and through. The Plotts family have only rarely put these dogs on the market; so while the breed was officially recognized in 1946, it is still rare outside the southern states. Its is most efficient in the search for coyotes, wolves, and wildcats. They are extremely hardy and have superior hunting instincts. The breed has been carefully developed to be stronger and more persistent. They can make a good family companion but are seldom kept as one. Most people get these dogs for the hunt."



The Catahoula is quie an interesting dog. I was not familiar with the breed until I transported and neat little girl about 4 months old. She was both loving and lively. She was red and gray. Interesting mix. This is the state dog of Louisiana.

You'll of course remember that my Macy is part American Bull Dog. Our local SPCA has a part Calahoula and part pit bull. Beautiful dog.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce you to a couple of breeds of dogs. Party time is upon us with the holidays and asking people if they know the state dog of either NC or LA would be a terrific icebreaker. Kids, dogs, and weather are safe conversational topics.








9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have just found out how fertile Plotts can be. we have 16 puppies and would love to find good homes for them . we are not a commercial kennel and I put together a web site so maybe if someone wanted one.

These make great pets or hunt dogs.
christycreekkennel.com

Leisa♠ said...

bob---Thanks for your post. These really are gorgeous dogs. I hope they find good homes.

Anonymous said...

Leisa----
Check out my web page I refeshed it with new pictures. We had a disaster a couple days ago and the momma dog for the 11 pups was killed. Max got loose and Holly took off with him on a short hunting trip. We have since made sure Max can't get loose ( like the Tiger enclosure In SF)in any event we are now surragate mothers and feeding every 4 hrs for the next 3 weeks. This litter will be bonded to humans like no other . Check em out at christycreekkennel.com

Leisa♠ said...

Bob...Tragic news indeed. I'm very sorry. The mother was a beauty--what a terrible loss. Love the updated photos. What sturdy pups! In my rescue work, I've come across breeds (Plott/Catahoula) that I've never known before.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Natalie said...

I have a shelter dog who looks just like your photo of the Plott hound! I looked up other Plott hounds but none look like the photo you have posted above. Can I ask you where you go it? People ask me all the time what kind of dog Tyson is, I'd love to know if he's actually a Plott hound! Thanks!

Leisa♠ said...

Natalie, you can look online and find pictures that vary widely for this breed. Seems that many of them possess the brindled pattern. Also some appear more houndish than others. I'm not a breed expert in the least and I'm don't know if this photo is respresentative or not.

Anonymous said...

I just got a plott hound

Kym said...

I have a dog that I am not aware of its breed line so I looked around and found this site where I read up about the Plott Hound. I do believe this may be his breed, everything he does and looks are what you have explained to be a Plott Hound. I use his skills in training and I cant believe the power that comes from this dog!! I can give a picture but i would really like to know more about this breeds potential. Please e-mail me anything that could help...players_girlfriend@hotmail.com