Sunday, December 23, 2007

T Minus 2 Days

Christmas will be here in two days. It seems like it was just Christmas with the years zipping by too fast. My children are almost grown. And with each passing year, our Christmas has transitioned from one of frenetically trying to wrap, or worse, assemble, their gifts after they went to bed, to one more muted.

We do not have waist deep gifts under the tree. Never have. I try to pick out one or two thoughtful gifts that will endure. My son likes to hunt, so we've bought him guns--quality pieces that he can give his son or daughter (we responsibly have a gun safe). I tend to buy my daughter quality pieces of jewelry that I think that she will enjoy wearing. She has some nice things that she will be able to keep for years. I don't buy stocking stuffers or knick knack stuff for them. Just one or two solid gifts.

One of the things that we've done in the past is buy gifts for children from families in need. This practice was one that we enjoyed for many years and that my children from a young age participated in with me--carefully choosing the gifts and helping to wrap them. I've always instilled in my children the importance of looking beyond their own comfort and to see the unmet needs of others.

The spirit of generosity--so exemplary at Christmas--is one that I've tried to cultivate throughout the year. We live in a rural county, and the school system has the entire spectrum of socio-economic groups. When there were field trips requiring a fee, I always sponsored (anonymously) students whose parents may not be able to come up with the fee. It was a small thing to do, but it meant a lot for a child who otherwise would not be able to go. There many opportunities in your local school system where some extra dollars (tax deductible, too) can make a difference.

Christmas Eve to me is the most special part. My mother (deceased since 1988) would always make Christmas Eve dinner. Afterwards, we'd sit around the tree and were able to choose and open one gift. It was so exciting--I can still remember the heart thumping anticipation. As we became older and more cunning, we would go on a whole house search for our presents. It didn't matter if they were wrapped. We had razor blades and scotch tape. We could expertly open and re-wrap the present without any being the wiser. An Academy Award should have been granted to each of us for our feigned surprise! Even though we got craftier each year, so did my parents--and they'd always outsmart us by at least one gift.

That cunning DNA seems to have been passed down to my own children. Luckily, I've been able to outsmart them (the DNA didn't mutate into anything stronger!) most years. The trick is to hide the gift without really hiding it: to put it in something where they'd never expect to look (such as their own closet under their own junk or underneath their bed!). One year, I hid their gifts in my old VW SuperBeetle. That year, I really stumped them.

My step mom who is German, has a very rich tradition for Christmas. My father, a Jehovah's Witness (converting after they were married), is bah-humbug about it all. My SM prepares a lovely Christmas Eve dinner--I particularly appreciate that since it is a continuation of the tradition that I grew up with. My Mom died when Hannah was 18 mos old; my kids, then, only know my SM as their maternal grandmother. She has been a very loving and generous grandmother to them. After dinner, my Dad retreats to the basement harrumphing about the pagan holiday tradition, and we exchange gifts. It's a shame he cannot be more graceful about it.

My MIL normally cooks a Christmas day dinner, but she is unable to now given her health. I don't have it in me to cook a Christmas dinner--I'm still recovering from Thanksgiving! But I will have a Christmas day brunch where we'll have family from both sides and a friend or two. You didn't think I would get through a holiday post and not mention food did you? Here's what we'll have:

Citrus salad with yogurt dressing (it called for gingered yogurt, but the crystallized ginger probably costs as much as pure heroine, so I elected to pass and use candied lemon peel!)

Sausage/grit/cheese/egg breakfast casserole (make it the night before and pop on the oven--it has been a mainstay of our xmas breakfasts for more than 20 years)

Overnight pecan rolls (these are divine--a yeast roll that you let rise once; fashion into rolls and then put them in the fridge. You take them out in the morning for the second rising and then bake. I'll make some pans for a couple of my neighbors, too. This year is year 2 for this "tradition".)

Fried potatoes (I bought some jalepenos for added zip)

A pitcher of Bloody Mary's!

Juice selections for the abstainers and underage!

The rest of the day is for relaxing. I'll probably get started on my NY's resolutions. I'll post more about that later.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever your tradition (or not), I wish you the best of the Season: good food, conviviality with friends and family, good health to you and your loved ones, prosperity in all of its munificent forms and peace & tranquility.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas. Thank you for sharing your experiences (market and otherwise) here.
Do you think a bottom has formed for FMD? Or that the market will retest? I suspect the latter.

Leisa♠ said...

dr. bob: Thank you. FMD--I don't see it retesting. (But I've a noble record of being wrong!) I fully expect to see FMD get bought. The Bank of Ireland at one point was accumulating some stock.

Anonymous said...

Did you "open" my Christmas Gift? :) That was as good a time as any to reload!

I am doing a roast this year steeped in orange juice and dried apricots and surrounded by boiling onions. I have never tried this recipe but it sounds yummy.

There may be a glass of Pinot Noir or two consumed along side.

Best,

Fatter Cat

Leisa♠ said...

Fatter Cat: Yes, I opened the gift. Of course you give me greater credit for understanding these models than I deserve!

The pot roast sounds divine. May I suggest, too, that you consider studding your roast with some garlic cloves? Merely insert a slender knife into the roast and twist to make a hole. Insert a clove of garlic. You might want to do about 6 if you enjoy garlic. Have a lovely meal!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say how much I love reading your Blog and to wish you and your loved ones Buon Natalie!

From Italy,
Dave

Anonymous said...

Dave, Buon Natalie to you, too! Where in Italy do you live? (I once lived in Firenze.)

Leisa, thanks for hosting this blog. We love it!

And to the rest of you visiting: Merry Christmas!