Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuesday a.m.

I missed the market decline yesterday. My portfolio seems to be rather perfectly hedged. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing! Cash position is still north of 90%. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing either.

My husband and I went to the upper James River to do a canoe/fishing float. I offered to paddle so that he could fish. I did warn him that if he fussed at me at all, that I would never go again. He restrained himself, and we had a very nice day. As you might imagine, I'm sore, but it is a good sore.

With no cell phone coverage, such endeavors are truly a time to remove one's self from day to day stuff. I didn't see until about 2:45 the market. I had some EDZ calls that expire this week. I probably should have closed them yesterday, but elected not to.

I did see this spectacular drop in SNEN:

I'm not in this stock, as I sold in the volatility moves. They've had some trouble with one of their receivables....and that has exacerbated itself.

I will always be an advocate of mixing technical with fundamentals for longer term investing (read: more than 1 day). If you are a technical trader, they don't mean much. I'm not a technical trader or a day trader. I'm rather confident that I will never be. Part of any of this 'stuff' is that you have to find a style that makes sense to you. And there is no style that absolves you from making an informed decision about what to do with your money.

Ultimately, the best bellweather regarding making an informed decision means that you've consciously made a decision regarding the risks and return you are willing to take over a specified time frame.




As I look through some charts from yesterday's sell off, I cannot help but note that in more cases than not, the volume is not very high.

Futures are up as I type.

No comments: