Friday, February 02, 2007

Homer

Today is a day off from client work. Yesterday, Fedex brough to me Homer. That's the name of this filing cabinet/bookcase that I purchased from Levengers. It's pretty cool. It has three drawers (bbf)--that means box, box, file in furniture vernacular. Box drawers are small drawers, and file drawers are for, well, files.

On the opposite side of the file drawers is a book shelf and periodical rack. It was quite a good savings. I thought it would be a nice addition to my office--specifically, I could keep all my investment stuff on it. Books, files, research. It rolls on casters, so you could scootch it all around to have files facing you v. bookshelves.

I'm proud of myself that I put it together by myself. Unfortunately, due to brain wiring that is inexplicable to me on most days, I had to put some of it together more than once. It comes with everything, even a screwdriver. But all of the metal is crappy, and you can wring the screw heads if not careful. It took me a couple of hours, but I love it. My fingers are very sore from screwing in all of the parts. I looked for my husband's battery drill. I couldn't find it. It is probably just as well, as I can nearly guarantee that I'd be driving a nail through something irreparable.

I'm also setting up my Excel worksheet for using pivot ranges in Mark Fisher's, The Logical Trader. I'm not a trader, but I need a framework, otherwise I will rationalize myself in and out of a position. I like his system. I had set up a very elaborate spreadsheet back in the Spring for all of my positions. I also had a macro that I could use daily to reposition all of the prices to calculate a new daily pivot point base on the previous three day's data. With the macro, I was only entering just one day's worth of prices, and I didn't have to copy and past. So I'm attempting to duplicate that.

Though I've been without my excel worsheets for a while do to a hard drive meltdown. I have used two concepts religiously: (1) never buy anything for the first 20 minutes of the trading day; (2) wait for a price to stability for 1/2 the time of your opening range time frame (if you are mapping an opening range for 20 minutes, you would expect the price to sustain a point that you've determined for at least 10 minutes before making a judgment as to whether the trend has changed.) These two simple rules have allowed me to keep my wits about me when it appears that price movement was going in such a way to make my heart pound (good moves) or cause unmentionable parts of my body to seize up (bad moves).

When I complete refining my worksheet, I'll post a shot of it.

Let's hope Homer stays firmly together.

2 comments:

Banker said...

I have found that if you trade off the same rules (no matter what they are...within reason) every time (i.e. your ...never in the first 20 min of trading), it increases your abilty to make money. Dicipline is a very important quality when you trade.

Leisa♠ said...

Banker--that's a good insight. It's like going to Vegas and always taking a hit or NOT taking a hit on 16. Vacillating between the two is not good for one's odds.