Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Santayana Poem XI

You'll read this and see why I chose it...

Deem not, because you see me in the press
Of this world's children run my fated race,
That I blaspheme against a proffered grace,
Or leave unlearned the love of holiness.
I honour not that sanctity the less
Whose aureole illumines not my face,
But dare not tread the secret, holy place
To which the priest and prophet have access.
For some are born to be beatified
By anguish, and by grievous penance done
And some, to furnish forth the age's pride,
And to be praised of men beneath the sun;
And some are born to stand perplexed aside
From so much sorrow--of whom I am one.

---------------------------------------------
The last two lines sort of some up my feeling about the market--and I have definitely stood perplexed aside. {as a side note, Santayana was raised Catholic, his parents were Deists , and as an adult he was an atheist (and a homosexual, not that it matters) with a very deep respect for the religious symbology.} I still will always marvel at this man's ability to express himself so poetically in a language which was not his native tongue.

No comments: