Friday, October 12, 2007

Back to Research

(As I write this I'm listening to GaryK's YESTERDAY broadcast! He thinks that there is a good chance that a (as opposed to "the") top of some sort was put in place. I'm going to listen to today's real time, too).

I'm on my own this weekend. My men-folk, husband and son, are off in West Virginia riding dirtbikes. The place is called Hatfield and McCoy. It is a series of several trails that are old coal roads and the like. It offers terrific ATV fun.

Last October they went for the first time, invited by some friends who've gone up there several times--an annual trip. They had the MOST fun I've ever HEARD them experience--they talked about it for weeks afterward. They left yesterday after much anticipation ahead of it.

We were to go down to Hatteras this week, Sat - Tuesday with my B/SIL. I shared with you a picture of our last trip. This week, the trip was cancelled due to the death of my SIL's father. Sad times. So Mark and Reade had more time to get ready. They needed the time, as there was much maintenance to do to the bikes. It's rough riding, and bikes in top form are critical.

So I'm on my own. Oh, well my daughter is home, but I never see her. (Gary is saying that he is on a buyer's strike). Tomorrow I will do a dog run. I also plan to do some stock research. I have no pressing positions having exited them all yesterday with the exception of a few.

I did buy some NOV $100 puts on RIMM. Why?

The stock is very extended. Lots of ownership late in this move. Granted, these puts are speculative (in my e-trade). I finally signed up for options capability on that account. I'm trying to be judicious in my use of options. If this is a stupid stock trick, I will share that with you. I'm committed to sharing the good and the bad in that account. Heuristic value, you know?

My FAST puts for NOV were up today (I sold my Oct puts). But now I'm underwater (just gurgling, not turning blue). The stock rallied today. There is such a huge short interest, I believe that the buying pressure will increase in the near term. Given the P/E of 30+ for a stock that is growing earnings at less than 10% per year is not attractive to me. I don't see their business prospects encouraging in the near term. I may be proved wrong. I've got a little time for this to bear out.

So back to the title....I want to complete my research on my life sciences companies. There has been some good movement in those stocks. They seem to be benefiting from a sector rotation.

I hope that you had a good week. Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

russell1200 said...

This is a good book I read about the Hatfield McCoy feud.

http://tinyurl.com/2c3tle

I realize that this type of thing is expected of me.

Anonymous said...

90% of out-of-money options expire worthless , the industry average.....you should be closer to strike when buying

Leisa♠ said...

Anon: Thanks for your comment. I'm aware of the statistics. I did my research carefully and was prepared to weather this and not weep if they expired worthless. As I write, they are currently up 58%.

I've been very judicious on my use of options. That caution has paid off. Thanks for the reminder!