Tuesday, October 09, 2007

In Memory of a Passing Life

Above is a picture of my BIL, SIL, SIL Dad/Mom and Mark. The dog is Jeb. It was taken exactly a year ago while we were at the outerbanks. My SIL's Dad passed quietly last Sunday evening.

SIL's parents are an example of two people who've lived their lives fully: active, social, caring. I'm glad that Mark and I had the opportunity to spend that time with them.

It's been a tough week for the family. SIL's family is in Alexandria--about 2 hours north of here. B/SIL live only two miles away. I've been caring for the dogs while they have been supporting each other in their time of vigil and now their time of grieving and healing. They've been attentive and obedient listeners. I'm happy to help in this small but enjoyable way.

His life is a reminder to live our own lives fully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One looks at photographs of those who have left us and there is a certain mystery and awe attached to that reality.

A little hard to believe....

I went back frequently to look at Lucy. Not human, perhaps, but one just knew that she had been a great dog and a real member of the family.