Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Various

Oh what a difference a day makes. INTC, YHOO and IBM reported. An enthusiastic reception so far. All worries cast away.

Now T Boone Pickens is on CNBC shaking his oil shaman gourds that oil is going to $100 per barrel. That may well be, and one can certainly find the fundamental reasons for that BUT...there's that fear premium in oil and the currency slide in that number. If the dollar strengthens and hot-blood cools, then we can see oil prices ease.

I have a stupid stock trick to tell you about (e-trade). I bought--speculative purposes--Oct $25 puts on YHOO. It traded up to $29+ in AH. HAH! It was speculative, but I figured with VCLK's revenues being down that might have been a pretty good tell. It's not that YHOO had spectacular results to sport its PE, but it did surprise upward from previous guidance. Oh well.

My dog Daisey met Harley two days ago. Harley is a Harley Davidson. Thankfully, my neighbor was not hurt badly. (She was in the woods where the fence is not in front of the property--that fence will be promptly extended and shock collars incorporated! Daisey is beaten up pretty badly. Mark pulled a muscle running to see if my neighbor was okay. Daisey came running as fast as she could (running is generally a good sign, but a shot deer runs fast too before it keels over and dies). She ran inside, up the stairs and jumped in my bed. She had two down to the bone gashes in her right leg (hip and lower) and she had some very abraded skin on her underside and top hip. Naturally I was concerned about internal bleeding. Long story short, she is sewn up with two drainage tubes. I picked her up yesterday. She has an Elizabethan collar to keep her from licking her wounds and pulling out the drainage tubes.

Some observations about dog dynamics:
  • Dogs are tough. If I took Daisey outside without a leash, she would bound off.
  • Macy was very upset that Daisy was not home. She sniffed every inch of the bed and appeared very anxious. (She sleeps in the bed, and certainly smelled Daisey).
  • The poodle, Chloe, wanted to nest with Daisey yesterday. She does not normally do this. BUT, when Greta was sick, Chloe lay beside her every day. The amazing healing power of the poodle!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

185 pt reversal now. That must be SOME FIRE. :)

Fat Cat

Miggs3 said...

I think I love dogs because they always live in the moment. Run, Jump, oops..

Do you use any market sentitment tools? I have begun to watch $TICK, %stocks above 50 DMA, Stock Charts bullish percentage. I find it may help me identify where my bias should be.

Thanks,
Miggs

Anonymous said...

Well I chose a good entry, a fair exit but never reversed field to get the recovery. Can't win them all. I have skinned the market for 2%+ in a DECLINE. I'll take that any day. :)

I am looking for them to try to pop it again. After hours looks kinda tepid though. They'd be better off with a slow build anyway.

Biggest divergences are in the QQQQs, Leisa. But then they keep rammin' it.

Cat

Leisa♠ said...

FC: Yes that reversal was something. And the reversal's reversal was something too. My FAST puts are coming in nicely. I was talking to a friend who told me that he is doing FOREX training (he had a seat at the CBOE at one time). FAST reversed a bit too. Still green, but....

Miggs: I note on John Murphy that the put/call ratio is currently bullish (as is sentiment from some group). I think that the p/c ratios are the best. I don't actively seek them out, but they come through as articles in a couple of subscriptions that I have. Here's how Arthur Hill (for John Murphy) describes

"The CBOE Put/Call Ratio ($CPC) is a contrarian indicator that measures excessive levels of bullishness and bearishness. It does this by comparing total put volume against total call volume. Put volume increases as option players become more bearish and call volume increases as they become more bullish. CPC moves higher as put volume increases and lower as call volume increases. The indicator is contrarian because excessive levels of bullishness are viewed as bearish and excessive levels of bearishness are viewed a bullish. What constitutes excessive is both relative and subjective."

You can track this with $CPC on Stockcharts. Just enter that index. He is stating that the ratio is the lowest that it has been all year. That is generally bearish.