Saturday, June 30, 2007

It's not the snake you see. . .

--Non market post-------

well I had planned to have a picture here of the snake that I just saw. It's blackberry time. I had just picked one blackberry (quality test) and was turning the corner when I saw the silky black sheen of a black snake entwined in one of the bushes that I was passing by. I came in to get my camera and snap a picture to impress you with my bravery and pushing aside fear for the sake of art and entertainment.

He was gone within the 3 minutes it took me to fetch my camera. I wasn't going to go search for him/her, for surely I wanted to avoid being surprised. If you know what wild blackberry brambles look like, you will know that they are quite overgrown with all sorts of things. This particular area was no exception.

One of my favorite things to do is make fresh fruit cobblers: plums, blackberries, peaches, cherries. What better way to herald in summer than a warm cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream. Perhaps it is a Southern thing, and to that I plead guilty. Two summers ago, I did my own test kitchen "thing" combining this recipe and that to find the best homemade biscuit topping for cobbler--even experimenting with putting the topping on the bottom. There was nary an unedible result, but biscuits made with cream and White Lily flour (or any type of lighter bisquit --NOT BISQUICK--flour) will do.

Side note on waffles---For any of you waffle lovers out there, consider making waffles from scratch during the weekend and freezing them. Then when ready to eat, defrost them slightly in the m-wave and then pop them into your toaster oven. It will be a lovely way to enjoy a fresh breakfast--top them with fresh fruit. Here's a recipe for you to try. It's one of the few waffle recipes that do not require your separating the eggs and beating the egg whites.



COOKS.COM RECIPE SEARCH ENGINE
HOMEMADE WAFFLES
Printed from COOKS.COM

2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs, beaten
2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. salad oil
In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In small bowl, beat eggs and buttermilk. Add to large bowl and beat together. Slowly beat in 1/2 cup salad oil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a neat substitution. Substitute 1/4 cup of the flour with cornmeal--either white or yellow. It provides a crispier waffle. This is also something that you can do with your biscuit topping for cobblers. You could also add some oat/wheat bran (experiment with amounts, but start with 1/4 cup), to beef up the fiber.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leisa,

That blackberry thing, it must be the time of year. I was inspecting my deer plots down on the Pamunkey River today & guess what, I wound up picking blackberrys around the edge of the field. I read your Blog every week, found you from the Bill Cara
site. Keep up the theme you use, we never know what to expect.!!

Leisa♠ said...

The Pamunkey River is about 20 miles from me as the crow flies!

I've noted more dead deer in the last 30 days than I normally see this time of year (car accidents). Rutting season is generally when I'm most mindful, but it seems that they are moving around more than normal.

My son is the hunter in our family. I don't mind his killing a deer so long as it is killed for sustenance, not just sport. Thanks for your kind words.