Monday, July 23, 2007

Grave Diggers!

The only thing worse than a gold digger is a grave digger. Today I nabbed two. Yes, you know them....Lacy and Macy!

The nice thing about being both a woman and a Mom is that you have these well developed instincts--spidey senses. Though I have no idea why, something made me get up and gaze out the front window of my office. Even without my glasses, I spied Puppy #1 and Puppy #2 (my pet names for Lacy and Macy; I'm not sure who is #1 and who is #2) under the red-bud tree. I went out there and discovered to my horror that they had almost succeeded in digging up my beloved Greta. I could see a portion of the quilt that one of them had pulled up and ripped. Had I been 15 minutes later, the sight would have been much worse. I shudder at the thought.

Our soil is quite loamy. So it makes it easy to dig. And I suppose that with their keen noses that they were able to catch some odiferous wafting some 3.5 ft below the surface. Naturally, I got a whiff or two since that 3.5 ft had been breached by the miscreants. So I repacked the grave; yelling at both of them and working myself into quite a lather. AFter Lacy tried for round 2 of digging, I took Lacy home and locked her in her garage--after round 2 of yelling. Macy retreated out of site. I then looked around for materials to secure the grave (for no sooner had I repacked the soil than Lacy (neighbor's dog) started going for round two. Ugh!

So I found some solid bricks--not pavers which would have been lighter--that I gingerly put into the wheelbarrow--4 trips worth. Why gingerly? As you know, my track record with personal safety has been a bit spotty of late. Wasps came out of the crevice between the stacks, so I suspect that there is a largish wasp nest somewhere in those bricks. I was pretty careful, for among snakes, wasps and spiders there is no shortage of things that can hurt you around a brick pile (or wood pile for that matter). Thankfully, the brick pile was a non-event.

Now I have a lovely brick pattern atop the grave. It was also a good physical work out that I'll likely remember for a day or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank god (maybe Anubis http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/anubis.htm)for spidey senses. Empathetic shudder.

Leisa♠ said...

Thanks for the Anubis reference. I love Egyptian mythology. In fact, I enjoy all mythology.