Thursday, July 12, 2007

Today's Market Close-WOWSA

(Click all images to make larger).

From the WSJ's Market Data page:



All I can say is wow. Surprising? I don't think that I've ever witnessed a relief rally first hand. The shorts were murdered. I closed out of some of my positions early a.m. JogyP asked if I were in DXD. I wasn't when he asked, but I started a position yesterday. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to close out early. Yes, it was a loss, but that loss would have only become worse. I still have my 136 puts.

In my E-trade account, I re-established my WZEN position. (Oh, it is worth noting that DEPO went up again today--but who really knows what a stock is going to do?). Anyway, I had a little bit of money left, so I bought some EGO-Eldorado Gold. It was smashed today on what may be a temp closure on a Turkish mine. Here are my current holdings in this account:
RTK is so up and down!

My Chinese stock (that I found that weekend I spent with the Halter Index), SEED, broke out big time today. I have 1000 shares of this in a retirement account. I bought early June....one lot on June 1 and another lot on June 8.

Here's a one year chart.

I'm not giving you any advice to go buy this stock. They report next week. But what is interesting about this stock is that there is a reduction if not elimination of subsidies that the Chinese gov't has been giving on hybrid seeds. Now this makes for some interesting market dynamics. I also surmised that this would be a nice target for someone like Monsanto. I was doing some research and I saw that someone had written this very thing more than a year ago. I don't typically buy stocks for takeover; I bought this stock because it (1) appeared to be coming out of a base; (2) had fundamentals that I could understand; and (3) had the added kicker of being an attractive target. I will hold this through earnings, and I realize that might be dangerous.

I hope that you had a good day in life and the market--they are two different things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leisa

Another company that may be interested in SEED is the Swiss company SYT, although they just recently bought an Israeli seed company
http://tinyurl.com/2tm64r

I have no positions in SYT, but follow it on my Agriculture list. I'll have to add SEED to the list.

Anonymous said...

Hey Leisa, congratulations on your SEED success. In this market, stocks seem to move in big burps.

I think I recall you were once in PUDC. I've been holding it for a while now myself and I'm still waiting for it to move out of the rather well attenuated base it has formed here. CPSL, another China steel play, has been on a tear recently. Poor PUDC refuses to follow.

Good luck with EGO. The selling was overdone, but I resisted the temptation to join the fun. Given my instincts lately, that bodes well for your trade.

Leisa♠ said...

Seamus, thanks for the SYT info. I'll look them up.

Anon 9:24---I've never had a position in PUDC, but you remember it from the Coal Stocks watch list that I post from time to time. It's up 159%. How I WISH that I were in it!

Anonymous said...

leisa,

I notice you mention "136 puts" in this post, but "136 calls" in your response to JogyP July 9...maybe your inner psychic twin was trying to tell you something...;)

2nd_ave

Leisa♠ said...

2nd_Ave---I did do that mix up between p's and c's. Yes, my psychic twin was talking to me and I didn't listen because it was a put and not a call. I'll credit it to busting my noggin'. That little injury lingered longered than I would have wished causing me some print and vocal oddities last week.