Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Back from the Beach

I'm back from a brief respite in the outerbanks. Mark and I left Saturday to visit with my B/SIL. Naturally I have pictures for you.








We stayed in Avon. The "development" was named Kinnekeet Shores. To the left is a picture of the home that was rented. I took the picture from the sounds side (as opposed to ocean side). The home, as many of them are, is quite tall so there are lovely views of the ocean and sound side--stunning sunrises and sunsets! It was nice to be away from the market. I did watch some of the action yesterday. When I went to my p.m. nap, the DOW was up 90+ pts. When I woke up, it had an ugly close! More upsetting was the news on E-trade. I'm closing that account and opening an Ameritrade account. This subprime is taking out more than a company or two and an executive or two.


The grass area represents as rather robust wildlife habitat. As we walked about the shoreline, we could see deer tracks as well as racoon. We did see a very large buck and a couple of does milling about this area. I was unable to get a picture that you could see easily. But you can just make out the buck's haunches on the far right of the inner pondish area--in line with the tree that you see at the big-water's edge.






Now here's a print that looks to me like a "cat"--I'll have to check and see what is local to that area.

(I have since done some research. Since cats retract their paws, then this is unlikely to be a cat print. I don't think it is a dog print.)

Thank you for your comments on Herm. The timing of our trip helped soften the blow--I wasn't straining to hear his call. It would have been a great joy to hear that he returned. I know that he is gone for good. Though he was young, he lived the best'est life a cat could live. He was loved and well cared for. Unfortunately, he was a hunting, killing machine. I'm quite sure that he was a victim himself.

We have a rather active owl population. I don't know that it was an owl, but that is a best guess. Herm is in a longish line of disappearing pets between my neighbor and I. He's had about 4 cats and a maltese disappear. I'm missing 2 cats--Theo/Herm. They were brothers. Tim (neighbor) had the mother and kept one of the kittens, Max, who was Herm's twin. Max was a victim of bad dog attack. Tim learned of it through an acquaintence who lived about 1 mile away, but about 1/2 mile as the crow flies. The acquaintence mentioned the bad dog and the cat it had killed and drug in her front yard. The description matched Max's.

The maltese was out early in the a.m. He never came home--and he didn't venture anywhere but around his property. Likely nabbed by a hungry owl. Theo or Herm either scrapped with something on which they were on the losing end or.....

Life's not very pleasant when you look at it closely!

We did see some feral cats on the outerbanks as we stopped for air and to put air in the tires. The woman said that she feeds them. The Humane Society gives her food. They also trap and alter the cats, and then bring them back. A very responsible and humane thing to do!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back.

Can't stand the fact that Herm isn't back.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back.

Can't stand the fact that Herm isn't back. And what a looker he was!

Anonymous said...

The double posting was a mistake; the sentiments weren't.

Leisa♠ said...

GS: Thank you.