Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Venison Tenderloins and Squirrel

Today was a very busy day. I always shop on the Tuesday before T-G. Of course, I always forget or was unable to obtain something (I'm still 2 quarts shy on oysters) and have to send someone out on Wednesday. But in general, it is a gnarly day to shop.

I started early today and polished off my list. But the very first thing that I did today was prep the venison tenderloins that Valvoline_6 was so kind to bring to me. I couldn't find my last recipe which I loved so well, so I winged it a bit. I combined red wine vinegar, Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce (soy based sauce), about 4 large cloves of garlic mashed with knife, some Grey Poupon mustard and a generous sprinkling of Kosher salt. I ensured the tenderloins were covered and let them marinate (in fridge) for what turned out to be 12 hours. I had a visiting neighbor. He's single. I often invite him to eat
with us or give him leftovers so that he'll have something easy to
fix. I gave him a portion of one of the tenderloins for his dinner.
No mess, no fuss, just slap that baby on some heat.

I cut the silverskins (the muscle encasement) off and then sliced the tenderloins into 1" pieces. In a small saucepan, I combined about 1 cup of water and beef base and 1 cup of wine. I also threw in a couple of sprigs of Thyme and about 1 TB of red currant jelly. I reduced it by 1/2.

I salt and peppered the venison medallions and pan seared them in just
a bit of olive oil. I used my cast iron skillet. I cooked them to
rare with warm center. They were exquisite. If I hadn't prepared the
meat with my own two hands, I would never have imagined much less
guessed that it was venison. The marinade really infused the meat with a wonderful flavor (in addition to drawing out blood) and the wine sauce was the perfect accent.

The wine is what I enjoyed with the venison a 2000 Chateau Fonseche (Haut-Medoc). Total Wine Warehouse these great coupons for $5 off on Bordeaux wines. I did my homework and bought well-reviewed wines right at the price point cut off! None of the wines cost more than $22 per bottle. $5 in wine puts you into a very different level--so coupons such as this get you alot. They've never run that $5 coupon again insofar as I can tell. This wine could age a bit more, but it was very pleasant. I raise a glass now to toast Valvoline_6!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The squirrel portion of this post has nothing to do with food, but everything to do with today's market! Gap up, plunge down, torpedo up and settle modestly, but importantly above Dow 13K. Banks stocks were pummeled.

I closed my FMD. It was getting too close to a cliff. The cliff held, but not with me hanging on it. I also closed my stupid stock trick MGPI. That darn stock can go to $20, and I'll be happy not to see it. I also closed WZEN. I did close DUG and SMN. I think that we'll bounce, and I'll re-enter those positions.

The financial stocks may be carving a bottom. FMD still has good fundamentals, but this is a case where owning a good stock in an out of favor sector is painful.

I didn't spend much time with the market, but I did a 5 minute flip of RIMM profitably. Poco profit, but profit.

I hope that your day was good.






Powered by ScribeFire.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at where your favorite financial stock was 5 years ago Leisa. There's your target. Same with the homebuilders. Buy them there and you will have outsmarted every value manager on the planet including Whitman, Miller, Weitz. You will get a chance to stockpile REITs paying 8% and above. You and Gemma can use them as stocking stuffers one year. I kid you not. Just be patient.

Have a good holiday.

Cat

Leisa♠ said...

Miller has hung stubbornly onto these stocks. I think that your counsel of patience is a good one.

That we have a "financial" problem, these stocks have led precipitously down, and I don't think that they will lead up so quickly.

I'm still in the recession camp--and one that extends beyond our borders.

Anonymous said...

Cat,

Funny you should mention it: I just bought some Kimco (KIM), a REIT that I favor.

But I shudda waited....

I AM waiting for some of the other items on my shopping list. As you said: "Just be patient."

Wish I had been patient in my wait for KIM. *Sigh*

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you enjoyed the venison.

vavoline6

Anonymous said...

Try DRE Gemma. I am personally familiar with these folks. I don't like their balance sheet right now now but if you can get it at an 8% yield (7+ now) you are paid to waitfor the cure. These guys are very good at what they do and have scads of fully entitled land. Thy will be positioned well on the other side of this.

Cat