Wednesday, November 07, 2007

November 7


Gary K sounds somewhat ominous. Why? 1490 was taken out of the S&P 500. Big cap tech as been THE place to go, but CISCO provides an good, but not GREAT report. Cisco's earnings report is a textbook failed expectations.

I always had a difficult time understanding how a company could report a terrific or horrific report but the stock would do the opposite. The answer is simply this: expectations. Plus--how "crowded" the trade is. Too many folks leaning the same way sinks the ship.

Regardless of how your portfolio performed today, I hope that you remember that you are never your portfolio. You are never the gain; you are never the loss. So any arrogance or shame you feel regarding your portfolio performance is meaningless. Who you are always transcends your bank account. If you do not understand this, you have much work to do in this lifetime. That's not an excuse to be careless with your resources. However, it is every reason to keep things in perspective in the even that you f*ck up. It means that you are human.

If you take anything away from this blog, I hope that you take this away.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Regardless of how your portfolio performed today, I hope that you remember that you are never your portfolio...."

very good advice. feels better reading it.

JogyP

Anonymous said...

Mrs Leisa,

I saw your response this morning to my post on Cara's Commentary & Community Chat page.
When I read about what happened to your brother 17yrs ago my heart sank. A year ago my good friend’s daughter committed suicide over a failed relationship. I always wondered when things like this happen, if the person would of waited another 24 hrs or so, then maybe it wouldn’t of seem so dark and hopeless for them.

So now I see how you have acquired your wisdom. Not from books or from others, but from what I call the “Furnace of Life”. It burns the dross out of us. For me it easy to recognize those who have made it through the furnace without becoming bitter. They are caring, understanding, compassionate, merciful and giving. They have very little time or need of the shallow things of this life which others seem to chase with all their heart.

If I were offered the choice to either look at next week’s financial section in advance, or sit on a park bench with you talking about this journey we refer to as life; I would say “give me the bench”.

In my book , you are the “Dali Leisa”!

Isaiah64v4
[hint: look up my username some time:-)]

Leisa♠ said...

JogyP: Thank you. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little better when I've had a winning day v. a losing day in my trading account.

Isaiah: Thank you for your kind words. Yes, the furnace of life does get a wee bit hot. And I wrangle every day trying to make sure that my inner magpie, who is attracted by the shiny things in life, does not peck to death my inner blue bird!

Anonymous said...

You will get a chance to reload on miners.

Anonymous said...

Why say ye? Exhibit A. Bellcow.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=aem

Anonymous said...

Very sorry for your loss. I've experienced the furnace myself, and maybe that's why I don't mind spending a lot of time in the kitchen for stress relief.

Having a cold one tonight, as I managed to move my entire portfolio +10% this week alone. Waited long enough for the setup. Shooting for another 10% or more next week, as the furnace opens it's belly to longs.

Got the battle scars and a few more won't hurt. Just look at that close! The last few days, the PPT tried to save the day, and I cycled the DIA puts the last two times with huge gains. They tried to buy the financials and real estate today, only to get shown the furnace hopper. I wonder how many freshly minted dollars fed that CO2 generator today. Gore would be horrified.

There is a sequence of dominos going here, and I'm playing them best as I can.

DXD, SDS, QID, SKF, SRS, the first pattern.

Now we should see DUG, SMN, FXP, in the next onion peeling.

Will tell you the next layer after these bring tears to my eyes. Good luck in these turbulent times!!!

Banker said...

Stocks are really looking unstable. With slower growth on the horizen I think stocks could be in some "real" trouble.