Thursday, November 15, 2007

On Gadgets

While I'm a kitchen gadget person, in general, electronic gadgets hold no allure for me. When I exercise, I don't like to listen to music--I find it distracting. I have a "regular" phone. I refused a Blackberry at my other job, because I always had my laptop with me if I were traveling. Other than that, I spent so many hours at work, I did not want to feel tethered by an electronic gadget.

Recently we bought a Garmin GPS. It's terrific. So much so that Macy chewed the antennae and rendered it inoperable. We had to get another one. As we were using it this weekend on our trip to the Outerbanks, it occurred to me that this ought to be integrated into phones. I read this Bloomberg article that notes the same thing. So navigation, web browsing, music and just plain ole talking will all be resident in phones.

It will be interesting to see how all of the players (Nokia, Apple, Rimm, Palm, MS) integrate these essential tasks into their products.


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had GPS in my Verizon cellphone for at least a couple years now. They charge more per month for the service, but if you own a GPS, its probably cheaper in the long run