Saturday, November 10, 2007

Herm Past Tense?

Here's a picture of Herm and Lucy in April 2006. You can also see Greta to the right.

Most mornings I'm awakened by Herm. Herm is my stunningly lovely, super, cool, neato black and white cat. He was about 2.5 years old. He is either inside and wants to go out, or if he outside, he wants to come in. He always starts out softly; however, if your response time does not meet with his expectations, then his mews becomes yowls! Since Wednesday, our mornings have been silent. Herm was last seen Tuesday evening. I suspect that he became part of the food chain. Herm, being the color of the night, was a creature of the night. Owls and foxes are similar nocturnal predators. I'm wondering if he became a midnight snack.

I don't write this glibly--I awoke this morning to the false hope of Herm's voice. Funny how your mind plays tricks. Last December, Theo disappeared. For a couple of months I would "hear" his voice. The sub-conscience is ever hopeful! Herm had this particular habit of choosing a spot for repose. The spot would be one that he would go to regularly for a week. Then, he'd pick another. My desk was his spot week before last. I was glad to have him near for that time.

These past 12 months have been particularly hard on our family with pet loss and injury.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly stand looking the picture of Herm mindful that she's (let's face it) gone.

I have a Tuxedo too. She's feral, but oh! so lovely. I wish I could hold and pet Sylvia. At least I can look at her -- and feed her. That's the part of living with me that interests Sylvia!

russell1200 said...

TA Kitty has a sibling that was a tuxedo. But then the white patch on her chest went away and she is now a carbon copy of TA Kitty. My wife thought TA Kitty had gotten outside and accidentaly let the sibling in.

Lots of confusion when all the sudden we had TWO TA KITTIES inside! The only way we could tell them apart is that TA Kitty has those little plastic guards on her claws.

You want me to get you a kitty cat? TA Kitty has three siblings and they are all very friendly and pretty. The two charcoal grey ones are particularly friendly.

Leisa♠ said...

Nona/Russell: YOu are so kind. I'm going to wait on a cat. Given that Mylo the 17 year old on death's door cat killed a bird a last week and I know of Herm's hunting/killing record, I'm going to give the wildlife around here a respite!

My next cat, though, will be a a gray tabby. I've had a gray tabby from the time I was 7 until 43--Baby and Kip. Both long lived cats! I'm 4 years without one. And it was about 1.5 yrs between Baby's death (18) before I got Kip. It almost killed me to put Kip asleep. (He was just shy of 20 and had stopped eating). He spanned most of my adult life--so it was a huge loss.