Friday, November 23, 2007

Morning After

I've not even seen the stock futures, and it is 7:30 a.m. Our Thanksgiving was terrific. I hope yours was. All the dishes turned out well. I managed not to burn or cut myself, so that in itself is a feat. I have a raised counter in front of my gas cooktop. My stepmom and SIL kept me company as I put together the final dishes. My SIL said that it was liking watching Emeril. Hah! My SM said that I should go into the catering business. I pointed at the clock and told her that I would get fired. I had expected to eat at 6 p.m. and it was already 6:30!

I mentioned that I had purchased a "natural" turkey. My husband and I agreed that we thought it tasted more flavorful--but we would really need a more rigorous study to confirm that conclusion! Nevertheless, the bird was beautiful. That 15 lb turkey was done in less than 3 hours. I never buy a bigger bird than that. It was plenty for 11 people. The ham was succulent. I had ambitions of making a glaze for it, but those were dashed on the rocks of reality of time and energy left.

My SIL said that her two favorite dishes were the potato and turnip gratin and the scalloped oysters. As I was prepping the dish, my SM and SIL ooh'd and aahh'd over the beautiful turnips that V_6 had brought. You would have thought I was pulling diamonds out of the bag! I also had collard greens/turnip greens with bacon and onion--a simple dish, but one of full flavor from fresh greens. My dad thought he had died and gone to heaven! (He's a Southern boy--GA and then worked his way north to VA!)

After dinner we lingered a bit with our guests. I put together a few plates for folks to enjoy something later. I just let the plates sit. I stuff what I can in the dishwasher--but that is generally full from the prep dishes. After the our guests departed with full bellies, we lingered with my two kids along with my daughter's BF. I had a glass of wine and my feet propped up. But it was nice to be in conversation with them. At 10:30, though, my body was crying out!

I went to bed but was really too tired to sleep. But, it was worth it. I'll not do any cooking for the next three days. We'll eat every scrap of leftover--then we'll go out to eat some Mexican food.


Powered by ScribeFire.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My blessings to your family and friends!

An a new reloaction, I was lucky to get an invitation to a real TG dinner by friends whom I've known for 10 years and did the same move 7 years ago to TX.

We had a delightful time. My friend and I got interested in trading some currencies and their options. We discussed the recent profitability and potential. I'll send Leisa my trading summary for the last 3 weeks, at 160% gain. ;)

I've moved the conservative funds to divinend payers like AAV, PWE, PDS, which are Canadian trusts best suited for IRAs, IMHO.

Today bought some NLR as a strategic energy allocation. Also bought some DSX as a long term hold for the divi current and growth.

Got 25% on my long ETFC and the calls (+ 100%), and +40% on my long BMD. Wish I'd have purchased more, but on these flyers, it's wise not to be over enthusiastic. I'll take these huge gains any day!!!

Watching MOO for a little better price.

My girlfriend showed up at 2PM after early bird shopping today, with a beautiful leather coat. $ 350++ marked to 115. JCPenney.

She convinced me to go out in the PM for what I wanted but didn't want to fight crowds...

Crowds... what crowds. Nobody was out!!! This is Austin TX where normal economics do not apply and people shop at Whole Foods. We have Lotus, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc... all over. Nobody anywhere.

I loaded up on a bedding set at 50% off, sheet set at 60% off, many golf shirts, nice, at 60% off, and belts, sox, slippers, etc at Kohl's. All were 50% or more off, and for each $50 you spent, you got a $10 off voucher. So I spent about $ 275 and got a rebate of $50, good for a weeks time. I'll take that!

Then I bought a fantastic leather coat from JC Penny that was reduced from $200 to $59. There was a whole rack of them, not gone by 6:00PM.
Several styles too. They are gorgeous IMHO. Yup; China.

The dollar collapse has not yet hit, and I suggest you all find deals like these.

It will not be long before the collapsing dollar maked everything much more expensive.

I suggest everyone get what they need now for the rest of their lifetine, cuz all that's about to change.

Dave B

Anonymous said...

I hope this is the kind of commentary you like to receive here.

On other forums, my integrity has been challenged. Some because of of a difference in idology they did not want published, and some because I am partially disabled and their site would not tolerte that. Ow.

I only post to Leisa's site what I consider relevant, motivating, educational, or in response to her posts.

My goal is to inspire you to take the gamble, but only based on information generally not considered mainstream.

I will share some ideas if I do not fall below the goal of 100% per month. This month I'm happy. (This is the options account.)

Those who ridiculed me might want to figure out who was on the other side of the trades, when I wooped their arse. This is a zero sum game. And I'm coming for the rest or you clueless bastards!

DB

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add, Until Nusbaum pissed me off, I posted my strategy publicly; Honestly,NO BS. Still do, but for emphasis here.

R Ramjet want's to wallow in minutia, and banned me. Fine, as that will not matter as to what is really going on. (Although they have not known for years, anyway.) (And they think they know now.)

Suppose everyone wants to hear in the future what will make money and not past. Look at my dividend picks, and I cannot possibly post the array as it's too risky.

You need to educate yourself by being scalded 100 times, and then by only getting burnt.

The government issued stats are innacurate, IMHO, and I agree with Peter Schiff and others.

My USI course would not be affordable to 95% of you. But a partnership would be interesting. I have one partner now and we are kickin arse!

Dave B

250% in 2 months. ;)

Leisa♠ said...

Hi Dave: It sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving and found a bargain or two to boot!

The Canadian trusts seemed like a great thing for many--then the tax law changed and the value of one's investment was marked down like a wool coat in Spring. They do have vulnerabilty to commodity pricing--I'm of the opinion that commodity prices, despite Pickens and his oil gourd shaking, will come down.

Regarding your trading stats--Please DO NOT send them to me. I'm truly happy for your gains, but I'll gently point out that the tone of your post sounds a bit more like gloat than strategy.

Anonymous said...

Wisely chosen words Leisa.

Anonymous said...

Went to Walmart, Kmart, Kohls and Staples yesterday to kick off the xmas shopping. Other than Staples the stores were absolutely mobbed. If theres a recession I sure don't see it.

russell1200 said...

I came back early from Thanksgiving to do some work at home: Just me and TA Kitty: With TA Kitty getting ejected intermittently for chewing on business documents.

Chewing on documents indicates a spotty weak in the market. And TA Kitty is never wrong. Of course I am doing the grading...

Leisa♠ said...

Russell--Welcome back. TA Kitty may be a contrary indicator. Perhaps not enough food and she was forced to fend for herself. Mark found Macy with another book. "Global Reach"--her reach is rather global.

russell1200 said...

Well TA Kitty got it right this time. I was posting on the weekend after Friday's results.

Anonymous said...

L-

If you had any doubts about which part of the anatomy the Boys "think" with , get a load of the Nikkei's reaction and the futures spike in response to the "good" news that Citi got a 7.5B bailout from Abu Dhabi! They pawned off Grandma's silver. Guess the Fed window wasn't open at night. LOL.

We are in deep doo-doo.

I'd fade that.

C