Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fan Benno-Caris

I hope that you will take a moment to read about this incredible woman. You can read her story here.

This woman, now 89, inspired me some years ago (probably 6 or so). I was reading an article in Shape Magazine about this woman who started race-walking in her 70's. In fact, she was so competitive, she acquired a heart rate monitor to juice up her speed. Which it did. I did one of those "notes to self". Essentially, if this woman at her age could be physically fit, then I (at 1/2 of her age) could do so as well. So I began serious training to find my inner athlete (having embraced my inner nerd for so many years). I studied about heart rate training, upgraded my Polar monitor to one that I could download my training information. I had XLS spreadsheets that would compile my data in each zone so that I had a weekly pie chart on my time in zones. I was so proud of myself. Unfortunately, a water skiing accident cut my 2 1/2 year training program short. I sprained my back rather badly, and it all went downhill from there. I found it very difficult to become re-inspired to reach that prior level of fitness.

This a.m., I'm reading about her again (the story you see referenced, from a different paper) at age 89. What an extraordinary woman. So, guess what? This woman is back in my life inspiring me. I've cut out the article, enclosed it in a plastic sleeve, and I'm putting it on my wall board at my desk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good story, thanks.