Thursday, May 17, 2007

Fire up the Grill!

I'm from the South; accordingly, barbecue is a noun and not a verb. So if someone were to ask me what I did over the weekend, I would never say, "We barbecued". Now, my northern compatriots would say this, and I would look at them in bewilderment. You barbecued what? A dog, a chicken, steaks?

No matter what your longitude/latitude, I'm going to provide a helpful hint on grilling (b'ing) a chicken. First, if your kitchen is devoid a good pair of kitchen shears, then go purchase a pair. It will make your life so much easier. Chicago Cutlery and Kitchen Aid make them. Personally, I prefer the ones that come apart so that you can wash them easily.

The little hens (not the Perdue oven-stuffer roasters) that you can buy at the store make a wonderful grill mate. To save yourself some time do this:

Cut the backbone out of the chicken with your shears. Then turn the chicken over and press on the breast bone to crack it. You could also cut the ribs out--it's easily done, and I think that it works best. It lays flat and you will be so happy with the results.

You can then marinade your chicken in your favorite. I personally love Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce (which you can cut half and half with pineapple juice or orange juice--heck even apricot nectar). Also, if you have an Asian market, seek out the Korean Barbecue sauce.

You needn't marinade very long--even an hour works. Fire up your grill and place the chicken absetn-backside down. Grill until done. If your grill is too hot, you'll burn the skin because the marinades that I mentioned have a fair amount of sugar in them.

If you like chicken and like to grill, I hope that you'll try this technique. You shouldn't have to cook your chicken more than an hour if that. Otherwise you will have a tough bird, which will delight none. And, if you do not have an digital instant thermometer, buy one of those too. It will cut down on over/underdone food.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://tinyurl.com/yvp8sv

In case you missed the 5/17 article above...from the Asian Times Online...it identifies some sectors that the Chinese government will be encouraging/supporting both for internal and foreign investment.

Also NTES gaining share of internal gaming market in China. Chart not quite there yet (IMHO) - and may get slammed if overall USMkt falls out of bed, but perhaps the Jan 08 calls would be a less risky way to play this.

BTW: I appreciate your perspective and willingness to share. Thx

Leisa♠ said...

Robboss--thanks for stopping by and your kind workds.

NTES is a super strong company. I did some research as part of Bill Cara's studies.

Anonymous said...

At a comedy club or Broadway show, I'm the audience.

At an art museum, I'm the (sometimes moved) viewer.

At a barbeque...I'm the eater.

I think we should all go to Leisa's over Memorial Day and all together be her audience, viewers and eaters!

Leisa♠ said...

Oh, and with regard to what type of wine to have....Sauvignon Blanc, Alsatian Riesling (particularly for spicy!), Gewürztraminer, or a Vionier.

Anonymous said...

I'm catholic in the true sense.

See definitions below from Dictionary.com

1. broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal.

2. universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all.

3. pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.

Therefore, not to worry: I'll drink all 'em all!

Leisa♠ said...

Umm...Viognier--though Nona will still drink if I've mis-spelled it.

I haven't thought about Memorial Day. It normally rains hear in VA, so I never plan an outing.

Anonymous said...

Nona will eat and drink indoors, outdoors...in short, on either side of any door you please.

This obtains PARTICULARLY when the chef is good and (especially!) if the dessert is chocolate in any form whatsoever.

Just in case anyone was wondering....

russell1200 said...

It took me a minute to figure out why barbecue wouldn't be a noun.

Virginian barbecue sounds similar to Tennessee. Carolina barbecue tends to be slow cooked, fall off the bone style. It is not generally associated with your standard back patio grill. The idea of "barbecuing" something strikes me as odd.

A descent Chianti can usually stand up to the robust flavors of a typical Tennessee style barbecue. But I agree with your selections as well. Particularly the Gewürztraminer.

Anonymous said...

The Woodshed Gang likes BEER. Better if in CANS. Any recommendations there? Of course, we don't get the barbecue, noun or verb. Just the smells coming from The Big House. It is TOUGH out here in The Shed on weekends when The Big House has the grill fired up. Lawn parties are the worst.

Leisa♠ said...

Re VA v. NC barbecue (and let's not forget our brethren in TN who also are quite talented in making barbecue). In VA I would say that both are cooked off the bone. I think that the greatest distinction, though, in style is whether it is in a vinegar-based or tomato-based sauce. I personally like both.

Now MarkM, you can be assured that there will be more beer than wine, and frankly more people out in the woodshed--heck the woodshed is the Taj Mahal of outdoor structures designed to conceal all manner of inappropriate, and yes, generally manly behavior (smokin', drinkin', cussin'). I do find that before I have events, I have to go around with a trash bag and find all of the aluminum residuals (can), lest we look like a bunch of rednecks