Saturday, May 05, 2007

NASCAR + Rain = Unhappy Guys in My Garage

Today is the NASCAR race at Richmond. It is raining, dampening the hopes of 10's of thousands, including the 4 guys in my garage who had high hopes for seeing the race this p.m. They are getting weather reports from another member of their group on the opposite side of town, but he is so gunho, that his report is likely to be biased!

I went to my one and only NASCAR race in Las Vegas at the inaugural race. I don't like doing anything well enough to do it amongst 70+ thousand people. Okay, if I were a singer or a movie star, I might recant that! Anytime you have to wait in long lines to take care of basic necessities (eating, drinking and eliminating) requires that you have an ardor for the main event that I'll never have. Accordingly, THAT live NASCAR race became a one and only.

But the trip was terrific (though I had to work every single morning to negotiate a contract, and my marriage was in great peril!). The weather was perfect, and the roads were nicely laid out, so that even I with directionally challenged DNA imbuing every fiber of my being drove confidently--indeed cockily!

We were staying at a time share outside of Las Vegas at the furthest edge of civilization. The condo was beautiful with the mountains close by. And with Smith's and Target nearby, there was no shortage of food and sundries when needed. It was a very memorable vacation.

So I'm going to join a friend (whose husband is in my garage anticipating the weather, though I don't see any weather talismans) for a low key night out watching Helen Mirren in The Queen.

I'm taking a weekend off from any sort of market research--clearing my desk of all the past research and putting it in files. I have an unpublished post on Tobias Adrian's Fed paper, but frankly, I've not been able to make sense enough out of it to write something coherent.

No comments: