Sunday, August 19, 2007

Brief Note

It has been a busy weekend. We are still working on on assimilating Daisey into our lives. Reade calls her Satan, but I think he's engaging in a bit of hyperbole. Daisey has much kinetic energy, but I imagine that has much to do with her transitioning from a confined environment to one of more exposure to the elements. I find that she's startled by ordinary household noises such as pulling out the dishwasher drawer or ripping aluminum foil from a roll.

Daisey has attached herself to me--I cannot get out of her sight. She's hyper at first, jumping and nipping, but she settles down. I was up for about 3 hours last night. Macy and she are working out the disconnect between Daisey having established herself as the dominant dog (which is fine, because Macy has been a minion) but forced to sleep beside the bed rather than on the bed (as Macy does). There is no room in the bed for another dog, and frankly, there really is not enough room for the one dog. This is perhaps a chance to get Macy out of bed.

Yesterday, our family attended a family reunion with my Dad's side of the family. It is so weird to see my cousins as adults in their late 30s - late 40's. I have many memories of them when we were young, but I've not interacted much with them over the years of our adulthood. To see them and their kids (as well as mine) as teenagers/young adults was quite special. The day was perfect: sunny and low humidity. It was a really special day.

Here's a picture of my two kids, Reade and Hannah.

I hope that you had a relaxing weekend--or at least felt like to were able to do a few things to make the week a little easier!

My E-trade portfolio rebounded a bit. I know that in anticipation of the market event many folks were very heavily weighted in gold stocks. But when liquidity is rapidly withdrawn, all asset classes suffer. Certainly there has been a bounce back, but I don't believe that gold will be buoyed any more than any other asset class--perhaps less as inflation is less of a threat (in my mind, anyway).

While stop losses or buy limits are widely touted, and I'm not saying that they shouldn't be, it is important that you are aware in a fast trending market those marks can get quickly blown away. You'll sell (or buy) at a price that is not what you would prefer. Remember that a short covering rally can move a stock quickly. Once the shorts have covered, you may not have much interest and the stock will move down and most likely bought at a better price. And panic selling can cause a stock to drop precipitously. Best to evaluate the reasons for the movement in the stock (either up or down) and then make a considered decision on whether to exit or initiate a position at a better price. I'm not giving advice, but reminding you how stop losses/buy limits can make you unhappy!

It's storming, and if I continue, (1) it will be a brief note no longer (not really brief now!) and (2) I'll lose power.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leisa, I just wanted to second Craigs advice on dogs (posted on the Cara blog. I've had dogs all my life and with the last very exuberant dog I felt she needed puppy classes. Boy did I learn alot. As Craig mentions, dogs like to be told what to do. Thats what the alpha dog does. You have to continually remind them that you are the alpha. There is an "Aloha move" that you may need to learn especially as the new dog in your home is not a puppy. Its natural in a pack that the alpha someday might be too old to make decisions so constantly challenging the alpha is built into their antics and play. About crates, I never used one but have seen their effectiveness if trained correctly. It becomes a safe haven where they choose to go.
peace and enjoy the canine mayhem
Gray

Leisa♠ said...

Gray: Thanks for your note. When Macy came into our life, I had to do extensive research because of her headstrong ways. I've done a pretty good job of reminding everyone around here that I'm Alpha! Because she is so food motivated and smart, her training has gone fairly well. I need to reinforce some behaviors, though. With Greta being ill, I sort of lapsed on my training with Macy. Daisey is responding well to my leadership, and she and Macy seem to have worked out their relationship. I do know that I'm going to have to be careful that Daisey does not become too protective of me.

Daisey did terrifically last night. She lay down beside the bed (on her bed). I doubt that I'll ever be a crate convert. I understand their usefulness, but I've never had to revert to one. I have a safe utility room if I have to confine a dog. My dogs have always slept either beside the bed or with each other downstairs on comfy dog beds. (I've always had more than one dog--as many as 5 at one time!). With few exceptions (most recent illness with Greta), they do not get up, nor do they disturb our sleep.

Anonymous said...

In case you haven't read it yet, Rev Shark's Border Collie died this morning.

mrmockbird

Anonymous said...

Gray,

Could you elaborate on the "Aloha move"?

Leisa, from what I understood from Craig's remarks about 'crating', he seems to think they like it and that it provides an outlet for their "den" or "nesting" instinct.

Had I a dog, which I don't, I doubt I'd use a crate and its associated behaviors much; but Boy, I'd sure want them inlaid in case I ever needed to.

Oomph

Leisa♠ said...

Oomph--Re crating: Yes, I understand that dogs like it due to their denning instincts. I don't see crates as a bad thing at all for dogs. I've had larger dogs. If I had 5 crates to fit these dogs, I would need to build an addition!

I'm not familiar with the Aloha move--hopefully Gray will inform. I'm surmising that it may be similar to the Alpha roll. For large, aggressive breed dogs, the literature that I've read recommends that this be left to a professional. If the dog doesn't accept the move, you could be headed to the hospital for stitches.

Anonymous said...

Re: Sleeping with dogs

I once dreamed -- and dreamed pretty seriously -- of creating a bedroom that was just a big mattress. I figured I'd sleep there contentedly with all my dogs.

At the time, I had four dogs.

But I wanted more.

Yes, at that time I was also above average crazy. I got over it.

Finally.