Monday, August 27, 2007

On the Celebration of a Passing Life

My one of my dearest friends' mother passed recently. She had been gravely ill--the type of illness where death is a welcome release from constant physical and mental anguish. It was a non-market day except for brief posting this a.m. and I did pick up some UNG at $34.03 prior to running out the door for the memorial service.

As I entered the church, I saw my friend's children, but I did not see my friend nor her husband. A guitar and flute began to play from the balcony behind the congregation. A male voice, my friend's husband's which I immediately recognized, began to sing. I turned to see my friend visibly composing herself for her part. My friend and her husband are gifted vocalists. They sing in their church in addition with the Richmond Symphony's Hallelujah presentation each Christmas. They recorded a song that was played at their wedding 20+ years ago. It was so touching to see them honoring their mother/MIL in such a beautiful way. I wept.

It was a beautiful service honoring the memory of a richly lived, family-centered life transitioned. Thoughts of the market and economy were far away. After leaving the service I had to go from friend to gatherer. My husband's b-day is today. We are having crab cakes with spicy avocado sauce and shrimp salad. So we honor my husband's special day. My S&BIL are coming over too.

A wonderful day, really, to be reminded of the important things in life. I hope that you remember someone that you love today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, after a richly lived, family-centered life, a death helps the rest of us to maintain a proper perspective about what really matters and is important in life.

Thanks for writing this "reminder" post.

Anonymous said...

"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart."

--Jonathan Swift

Anonymous said...

"...and I did pick up some UNG at $34.03 prior to running out the door for the memorial service."

you're too funny! as it happens, i did the same exact thing prior to leaving for an off-site meeting that morning...

of course, i don't think anyone is ever locked into one mindset to the exclusion of everything else (except during emergencies or o/w intently focused on something)...we all learn to effortlessly assimilate conflicting emotions and concerns throughout the day...i've found myself pondering the market during a funeral, only to later meditate about the funeral while trading...

2nd_ave