Saturday, August 25, 2007

Non Market Musings

Today we are going to have a 100 degree day. No outside plans for me. Daisey is doing very well, but is still on a perennial cat hunt. I pray she never catches either of my cats. She chased Herm up a tree yesterday after he decide to leave the safety of the Thunderbird to take his chances on the chase. I was in the process of apprehending Daisey who was sniffing/stalking around the car.

If you are not familiar with English Setters, and many are not, they are always on the hunt. They stalk their prey like a cat. In fact, they are very cat like--capable of absolute stillness and then slo-mo movements that are just incredible to watch. Then they POUNCE!

Yesterday was the first day that I felt comfortable letting Daisey "loose". I made sure that Herm was in. She stayed on the property. She spent most of her time hunting butterflies and dragonflies in the garden. I have sunflowers out there, so there was a bird or two out there as well.

This a.m. I let her out and she is watching for me and following me. Not closely, but she is watching which is what I need for her to do. Greta and Lucy were this way as well. They traveled ahead, but they kept their eye on me. If I stopped on the trail to sit, they would come and lay down beside me. First movement up, they ascertained direction and fired up again.

Daisey shows no interest in chasing motorcycles or cars (unlike Macy), but she chases cats (unlike Macy). If I could put these two dogs together, I would have the perfect dog!

Daisey is sleeping through the night on her dog bed beside me. Macy still sleeps on the bed, and all is well for the moment.

No comments: