Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Overlord

That's the name of one of the game my son, Reade, has for his X-box. The Overlord goes through pastoral communities killing halflings. These halflings are rock, club and ax-wielding menaces to the inhabitants of the communities that the Overlord is supposed to lord over! The point of the game (I think) is to clean up these communities and by doing so garner enough resources to rebuild the castle. The inhabitants of the communities are quite happy to see the Overlord and his minions--yes, he has minions!--move through the countryside doing halfling pest control. Make no mistake. The Overlord is evil and is re-building an evil empire. But I suppose that it part of the charm of the game.

Yesterday morning, I tried my hand at playing this game. It has been a long time since I've played a game. My first game was Spyro. For Christmas some 6-7 years ago, we bought our son a Playstation for Christmas. On December 23 in the middle of the night we were visited by a horrible ice storm. I was awakened in the middle of the night by a noise that I could not identify. It was pitch dark, as the power was out. The next morning, we awoke to an ice-encapsulated world.

Ultimately, our power was out for more than a week. The first day or so was really tough because we had to cut our way out of the neighborhood and the back roads. Given that it was near Christmas, once we had cut our way out, we had a hard time finding a gas station (for the generator) in an adjacent county (our county stations were down due to power outage). Ice laden oak branches came crashing down among us. Quite creepy and dangerous.

But find gas we did, and that powered the generator. That meant that we had enough power to fire up the Playstation. For a week I was able to play Spyro. Spyro was the incredibly cute dragon that breathed fire and butted his way through various different worlds with dangers lurking everywhere. He had a little fairy that went with him whose health would fail gradually if Spyro absorbed too many shocks. It was so much fun and addictive. But also frustrating. When I played Overlord yesterday I was reminded of those frustrations. When I play these games I do not feel like I know where I'm going or where I came from. I get lost. Further, the perspective is so limited (unless you get the cheat codes!) that I feel claustrophobic. Plus, with Spyro, I butted enough sheep (he was a dragon, and those sheep were mean buggers) to last a lifetime. And there are abundant sheep that the minions need to slay for "treasure" in Overlord. Been there. Done that.

However, I will say that for a moment being Overlord and having minions at my disposal was thrilling. Though, it is probably not something that I should get used to!


Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

russell1200 said...

A lot of little ones (not hobbits) showed up 9 months after our last ice storm.

Anonymous said...

Such unexpected joys prompt one to pray for more ice storms.