Thursday, August 16, 2007

Easy Come....Easy Go E-Trade


This account which actually got over $16K (marginally) is now at 12,460. (Ugh!) I took a drubbing today, but the number was actually much worse earlier.

I did trade successfully today, and I've had a terrific month. Very terrific. But it could have been MONSTROUS. Oh well. Coulda ...... we don't go there.

Given the market that we have been in, shorting has been fairly low risk. Though, I must say the short endeavors that I tried before were disastrous. A great example of how the "trend is your friend". Shorting into a strong market unless you've nailed the sector (for there are ALWAYS weak sectors, even in a strong market) is akin to flushing money down the toilet.

I have found, though, that when I focus on the account balance accretion rather than individual trades, I'm less stressed with the actual trade when one goes awry.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I did TRADE successfully toDAY.."

congratulations..

2nd_ave

Anonymous said...

My what a great looking dog, any idea what breed she is
I couldn't pull the trigger on WGDFF was watching it but after my recent bout of Hugo poker with KRY I just couldn't
Also feel your pain on woulda coulda, having sold my batch of QID that I've had since March on the 1st day of the Bear Stearns news, then selling SDS 2 days ago for what I though was a quick 3%, that could have really turned out,
Did gain a little the last 2 weeks with some WFMI AND TRLG earnings news

PS I hooked up here from Mr Cara's
place

Leisa♠ said...

Anon 8:30--Thanks for stopping in. I hear those c,w, s's. It can eat at you like indigestion. Those 2 x inverse are tough to hold because they kill you on the bounces. I lost $3K by holding DXD overnight on a gap up. Luckily I had the sense to cut my loss before it became $6K--as it would have. One can only make their decisions on the here/now and if you are trading a position (v. a long term holding)you cannot evaluate a here/now decision with a rear view mirror perspective (which is what we all do and results in coulda,woulda, shoulda). Since you are new, please take NO investment advice from me. As I've been reluctant to be long this market, I've been focusing on opportunistic positions held 24/48 hours.

Sounds like you have had a good two weeks.

Regarding Daisey, she is a purebred English Setter. I lost both of ES's this year due to age/disease.

Anonymous said...

I hope you all are long right now.

Miggs3 said...

Congrats on your new dog, she looks very happy in her new home!

I too have had a dreadful couple of weeks, down over 6%. I need to learn how to cut my losses sooner and re-purchase the stocks I want to hold.

I used my "husband whining" indicator yesterday to open a position in UYG because of the volume and leverage. Whenever he says I should just give up and sell everything, I go long. Although this was a very lucky trade. While I was typing someone just mistakingly bought 400@399.99 OUCH!!

Regards,
Miggs

Anonymous said...

Glad to see someone else held onto their WGDFF. Thought I may be the only one. Have you any thoughts on this one going forward? Holding
21K shares in the low 2's.

Vavoline6