Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend


A horribly cynical statement don't you think? Don't think for a minute that I believe it. But, it served as a useful title for this post!

One of the things that I enjoy doing is looking at charts. I don't claim any unique skills in the matter, but it's a bit like panning for gold--rather than shaking a pan filled with silt and sand looking for some glitter, I'm sifting through charts looking for promise. Click. Look. Click. Look. Click. Look. OH! When I stumble upon an "OH!" I look the company up so that I know what it does. It surely is a great way to become familiar--if only a passing sort of way--with a great many tickers. It creates a repertoire so to speak.

When I look, I also like to check out the institutional ownership (filed on SEC form 13F). And...when I check out the institutional ownership, I like to see who is buying what and the overall composition of their holdings. It is also here that I find companies that I've not "noticed" otherwise. It is from this work--and my sense that there is some value to looking for ideas through different channels, that I elected last quarter to offer some selections of Institutional Voyeurism. You can be assured that my little blog here is nothing but a niche channel! If you've not checked out a couple of the Institutional tabs above, I hope that you will. Yeah, I know that I'm getting long winded here, so let me get to the point.

I noticed in my review of Blackrock holdings that the largest new position was in Harry Winston Diamonds. Here's a chart (CTML):


HWD looks intriguing to me. Here is there institutional sponsorship (click here to go to NASDAQ site and click image to make larger):



This ends today's niche post!

As an aside--my son is horribly sore this a.m. from yesterday's accident. I will get pictures of the car and post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about your son (but glad that he is ok). I have two boys of my own, not quite driving age ....but almost and I am not looking forward to it.

Banker

Leisa♠ said...

Hi Banker. Thanks for your comment. It is indeed a worrisome time. If a child is going to die, the odds are that it will be due to car accident (about 50% of all deaths or more) or suicide. Keeping them out of harms way is tough when they get in a vehicle. And...we remember the stupid stuff we did as kids and wonder how we survived.