Sunday, May 18, 2008

Homecomings and Tin Foil Hats

What a week. Dad made it home yesterday. My son is recovering well. Perhaps this week will be boring.

I do have my dinner party next week, so I need to get into EPA mode and get my house cleaned. I'll opt out of the white suit, but I suspect there are some nooks and crannies that might require my donning it.

I also have to plan the logistics for my party. What to cook when. As you know, I've had the menu planned for a couple of months now. The nice thing is that I haven't changed my mind......

Some hours later....well, I cannot find my $^!#$^^$%& recipes so I had to re-look for them on line. I've gathered them together again. (Sigh).

NG presents this interesting point for discussion: "Is it possible that many commodity and global markets are now going to 'decouple' from the USD?"

It's a very perspicacious question. I listened briefly to Tim Wood on FSO. He's suggesting that commodities are (1) either in a topping phase or (2) are legging up for another phase. If it is the latter, he uses the adjective "horrifying".

I couldn't help but run across this chart:


This does appear to be rolling over a bit. I don't know if this is the topping that TW speaks of. I think that it is instructive that some of the underlying stocks are going bonkers, and this index appears to be stalling a bit.

I also found it instructive that the DOW could not close over 13K during options expiry. Perhaps that the top end of our current trading range. TW believes that the 4 year low has been put in.

I need to resurrect my book on range bound markets and get that finished.

But the suggestion of the fall of USD hegemony is not a topic that gets alot of air time. For that reason, it deserves some consideration. It's what folks are NOT talking about which is generally the most important.

Bill Cara published a terrific report by Credit Suisse about the decline of US hegemony (a strange word, I think). Engdahl and Henry C. K. Liu write some fascinating stuff--their perspectives are interesting to me because they seem so honest in their writing. That honesty colliding with a US perspective makes for some rude awakenings.

Tectonic shifts that we will likely see unfold:

  • Decline in US political/economic hegemony and all of the things that go with that (I'm shuddering).
  • Sea change shift in energy utilization--I don't believe the current prices are based on fundamentals or USD fluctuations. Perhaps the markets are being 'used' to spur a massive shift in public opinion.
  • Movement from a consumerism to survivalism (food/commodity/potable water).
  • Economics of an aging population.
(I did not have my tin foil hat on, but feel like I should put it on).

I see global economics and politics being shaped greatly by the above. (I see gray--nothing clear, certainly).

~~~~~~~~~~

I see that Chinese stocks are being run up again. It will be interesting to see what happens this week. Hopefully, I can post a little more. At the very least, I hope that you are finding the daily sector sort useful as you consider market activity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Transports new high...

The Economy is saved... LOL

Anyways, I hope the bears get the message now... btw where did they all go? Sentiment seems a little too bullish now IMO...

But with the US heading into the 'hard down' phase of a long term economic cycle which ends in 2009-2010 - one can be rest assured that every concerted effort will be made by Wall Street to move stocks as high as they can between now and next spring ---> because they have tons of stock to unload.

Short term this move up has had little futures participation since last Wed - and we have been rallying on declining Ticks since todays intraday b/o at 10:30....

No doubt everyone is selling (or at least waiting around the 1440 level).

BUT could there be a catalyst to spring us through this level?

Or do we condolidate or have a drop back down?

I'm still even on the original Oil short position - though did take profits on the 6 buck drop last week on the Enron loophole closure news - and reentered the position again short on average around 126.6
Oil stocks and gold stocks (in fact everything) is just drifting up though...

Oil has a habit of peaking around Memorial Day - through these seasonals have been discounted pretty strongly by the markets lately and now doubt the XLE stocks are being used to 'juice' the S&P's

In the end, Bears will be well rewarded - but if they are not patient IMO - I woulnd't be surprised they get caught in another trap between now and next spring.

And how about that rally in the US dollar - sure has been weak so far... but is still oversold.

Military presence in the Middle East is increasing - and prognosticator Jim Sinclair is calling for the next move in Gold...

Seems everyone is bullish on everything... hmmm

Leisa♠ said...

NG--The transports were late to the party. I'm thinking that they will be the last to leave. Further, they will be drunk and will wake up naked on the lawn of someone whom they do not know.

Anonymous said...

LOL too funny Leisa...

I also notice that FDX the Transports bellwether is still way down from it's high... so at least someone is still sober....