Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I've never had a close friend or relative serving in active duty. MY son (17) has always expressed an interest in serving, and I've not tried to dissuade him. He also is interested in cooking (and he did a wonderful job helping in the kitchen). I told him that a terrific way to serve is to combine is love of food with his military interest. I still remember seeing the Vietnam Memorial in Washington. It was one of the most moving experiences of my life. The monument itself--walls of black granite with the names of the fallen majestically carved--is impressive. However, the symbols of love and remembrance-- notes, flowers, flags--personalized the stoic monument.

The Korean War Memorial is in a park-like setting with 19 life-sized soldiers. You can almost feel the danger they must have felt as each figure, clearly captured in motion, looks warily for lurking dangers. It, too, moves one--but in a darker way as you are literally immersed in the unit. My sister lives in Bedford, and I'll visit the WW2 memorial there. Bedford, VA, a small western, VA community, has the distinction of losing a high percentage of her sons per capita. I live near many historic battle sites of the Civil War. On the way to Bedford, I pass through Appomattox. There is a battlefield park there. It's hard to imagine such a pastoral setting serving as such a transformative battle. So these are the memories that I reflect upon on this day of remembrance.

No comments: