Sunday, January 07, 2007

Not for Arachnophobes

I'm in the process of consolidating some of my photos. I had done a pretty good job of culling out my favorite photos of the many horrible ones that I've taken until my hard disk crash undermined my efforts. They are all on poorly cataloged cd's so I'm consolidating them on my external hard drive.

The beauty of a digital camera is that you needn't spend hundreds of dollars developing all of the bad stuff. The truly good stuff you can keep. For example, you could make this picture into a note card for expectant Moms. I doubt that many would appreciate your sentiment no matter how heartfelt.t I snapped this picture after I found this spider under one of my plants (I ran to get the camera. That egg sac served as a great drag on mobility (like being pregnant). More evidence as to why you should use gloves gardening.

3 comments:

russell1200 said...

I like spiders. One of my favorite books growing up was "Be Nice To Spiders"

http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Spiders-Margaret-Bloy-Graham/dp/0060220732

It is not that unusual to see Black Widows coming in on shipping skids on construction sites. I have never seen one that appeared remotely interested in biting anyone.

By far the most injuries and deaths are caused by two legged animals.

Anonymous said...

I find spiders fascinating little creatures. But I will say that I had trouble seeing the spider in your photo until I clicked and made it much bigger.

My late father was an arachnophobe, something I didn't know until my mother told me. He managed to keep his aversion hidden from his offspring.

Meanwhile, I've seen some incredibly beautiful spiders (although most are the equivalent of brown wrens.) Nature is simply astonishing in her bounty and richness.

Leisa♠ said...

My son was bit by a spider. A rather nasty bite that required antibiotics, but nothing serious. I ended up with a nasty bite on my leg. I contend that it was a brown recluse.

Searing pain. I never saw it. It happened in the summer, and I still have a nasty spot on my calf. I have a dermatologist appointment to look at that as well as various other things.

My favorite spiders are the writing ones. They weave the most beautiful webs, and they are impressive spiders to boot. When I used to run on the trail in the fall, I would invariably do several face plants into their webs. The worse thing is their egg sacks that are barbed. When they get on your neck, they hurt. Unfortunately, the dogs were not tall enough to break the webs in front. I told Mark that I should invent some contraption to attach to them that would break the webs in advance.