Monday, January 01, 2007

On Religion and the Occult (Eighth Major Axiom)

Major Axiom VIII

"It is unlikely that God's plan for the universe includes making you rich."

Minor Axiom XII

"If astrology worked, all astrologers would be rich."

Minor Axiom XIII

"A superstition need not be exorcised. It can be enjoyed, provided it is kept in its place."

Speculative Strategy: "To expect help from God or from occult or psychic powers is not just useless bu also dangerous. It can lull you into a an unworried stated. . . In handling your money, assume you are entirely on your own. Lean on nothing but your own good wits.
-----------------------

I had a client where in the board minutes (a theological institution) where the president declared that they had a new financial tool: faith in God. Luckily, the finance chair who was a committed religious man, but also president of a bank. Thankfully he had good wits and moved swiftly to right the ship.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a fun thing happen where I live. A fortune-teller's phone was disconnected due to her months of unpaid bills.

Now if a FORTUNE-teller is unaware of an imminent collection procedure on her unpaid bill....

~ Nona

PS: There's a lot to that saying: "Pray as if it all depends on God; work as if it all depends on you." I suspect your finance chair operates with that understanding.

Leisa♠ said...

Well, I just whipped out the "God helps them who themselves", but in general any of that stuff gets thorny as to why God would choose to help some rather than others. So in general I operate under the aphorism of "Hope for the best; plan for the worst."

Anonymous said...

I was just reading "The Religious Thought of Samuel Johnson" by Chester Chapin. A profoundly, deeply believing Christian, Johnson grappled with the issue of evil as all of us do -- and must. Chapin writes: "...Johnson points out that the problem of the nature and origin of evil can never be freed 'from the perplexity which has entangled the speculatists of all ages, and which must always continue while WE SEE but IN PART.' "

In short, there is no satisfactory solution to the vexing question of evil on this side of the veil.

I will say this: there have been times in my life when what appeared to be a calamity (at the time) ended up being a wonderful thing -- in the long run. This experience does not extend, alas, to losses from death....

Leisa♠ said...

I adore Dr. Johnson. I took all of my college electives in the English department. I still have my 18th century lit book--a huge tome (now I have to look of it) with onion thin pages.

Oh, to have an ounce of his extraordinary wit would be a quality to be proud of. Alas...I'm not fit to type his name!