Friday, December 29, 2006

An Entry on Bill Cara's site

Non investing post, but somewhat relevant in a chaotic way.

Today I found Cara Cara oranges at Costco!
I also found $12.99 beef tenderloins that you used to be able to find every week for $9.99 per pound. I'm not sure if I'm levying an allegation price gauging (or indeed inflation), but c'mon--that's a 30% increase! I elected to get a rib roast at $8.29 (bone in) per lb.

My habit the last few years is to have a formal dinner (where we dress informally) for New Year's. My greatest pleasure in life (besides being a perfect mother and wife (HAH!)) is to feed people--to feed people interesting things that they might not otherwise find on their own. I think that is Bill's passion as well. He feeds us stuff that we might not otherwise have the skill or imagination to prepare for ourselves. For that I am grateful. This banquet has been a glorious one.

Within the last two weeks, my beloved cat, Theo, has gone missing as has our revered Tradesman. I don't think that Theo will show up--we live among hostile things (well, Theo was pretty hostile, too, if you were small, furry and scurried). Perhaps our sage Tradesman will utter a peep for us and assuage our concern; otherwise his absence is a chasm not easily filled.

The New Year is always a cathartic event: wipe the board and clap the erasers--just don't choke on the chalk cloud! Just think how much more progressive we would be if we treated each day as if it were the start of a New Year. Perhaps that will be my sole resolution--a powerful one I think.

Though I cannot invite you to my home, I can invite you to my virtual meal: Standing Rib Roast with Rosemary Thyme--find it here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/15824
Shrimp on Boston Bibb Lettuce with green apple and garlic sauce; Zinfandel roasted shallots; Pear and Pomengrant Salad (http://www.bittersweetbistro.com/pearpom.html) with Walnut Vinaigrette and Balsamic Glaze. I'm not sure that I'll find merchantable poms, but I'll substitute dried cherries or currants; Potatoes Dauphonise; chocolate almond torte. We're having a Red Zinfandel with dinner--a little digression from the Bordeaux's and Cab's that I generally serve. With the appetizer course, I'm serving a Larus Viognier/Rousanne. Champagne of midnight (nothing expensive) if we can keep our eyes open long enough.

My son says that when we have these parties (and they are small, no more than 10 people including us) he's never heard people laugh so loudly. Laughing is life's elixir, though it is amazing how few imbibe it.

Of course being from the South, NY day is black eye peas--and you cannot have black eyed peas without a beautifully cured Virginia ham and some some collard or kale greens. Oh the pleasures of being in a place where barbecue is a noun and not a verb!

I appreciate all of the generosities enjoyed here from Bill and respondents. For those of you lurking, I encourage you to make a resolution to make ONE COMMENT to this blog in the New Year.

So may every day be the start of a New Year for each of you, and may you drink frequently from the cup of laughter. Happy New Year to all!

5 comments:

T said...

Food for thought, but I digress.

But something is wrong with this scenario.

On New Years Day, I am going with a group of volunteers to a Catholic Charity kitchen to cook and provide a meal for the less fortunate.

You are providing a gourmet feast in your home.

I am the heartless Republican.

You are the progressive Democrat.

However,your articulate and classic writing style absolve you. Happy New Year!

Leisa♠ said...

T, you must resolve not to be so label dependent in the New Year! Labels only serve to caricature and are inherently divisive. I really don't call myself a Democrat.

Hmmm...

There is nothing "wrong" with the scenario...you and are just choosing to do different things on the same day. Just remember, that the less fortunate need to be fed on other days other than the ones that get showcased.

My best to you and your family in the New Year.

Anonymous said...

Dear T,

The poor you will always have with you. (I have that on good authority.)

I live in New York City, where I've been helping an incredibly smart homeless man for over half a decade. I've finally faced the fact that my "help" has only made it possible for him to remain exactly as he wants to be: homeless. The problem is that now he counts on me to help him remain...homeless!

Me? If I were within 75 miles of Leisa's house, I'd try to wangle an invitation. As Hilaire Belloc said: “From quiet homes and first beginning, Out to the undiscovered ends, There's nothing worth the wear of winning, But laughter and the love of friends."

In addition to the laughter around Leisa's table, she's is a wonderful chef.

I'm a wonderful eater who loves to laugh.

Kismet!

Leisa♠ said...

I remember Economics. Handsome Al Mandelstam. He basically said the worst thing you can do for countries that are starving is to send them aid.

I'm a huge advocate of personal responsibility--but unfortunately some are incapable of exercising that. I'd prefer not to see them suffer. Remember that the homeless ranks swelled when we deinstitutionalized the mentally ill. It overwhelmed all of the health and human service agencies.

While we tend to focus on the homeless, the people who really need a safety net are the working poor. So many are one disaster away from being homeless. These are hardworking people--but their skills and/or education do not allow them to make a decent wage.

Anonymous said...

Those of us who like to help those who will help themselves might check out www.kiva.org via this website. I've been helping five different people who (seem to be) truly working to improve their lives.

By contrast, my homeless friend truly doesn't seem to use any help to his advantage. Worse (by my lights) he feels that a "regular" lifestyle is a less than acceptable way to live.

Hand to mouth seems to be the way he likes it. People, like me, who help to bail him out make it possible for him to stay in this lifestyle.

I'm really rethinking whether to help him any further. My New Year resolution (well, one of them) may be to withdraw 60% of all help. I don't feel that I can withdraw 100%: let's face it: I've made him dependent so a 100% withdrawal at this point would be unfair. Maybe by '08 it could be a 100% withdrawal. I'm really flumoxed by this situation.

I'd rather go to Leisa's where I can eat and laugh.