Thursday, December 07, 2006

Conspiracies!

http://www.engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net/Geopolitics___Eurasia/Russian_Giant/russian_giant.html

I found the above article fascinating. I hope that you will take time to read it if you have an interest in understanding better political bedfellows. Utterly, stupendously fascinating (remember my background, though, so it doesn't take much to titillate my imagination). I don't know if it's a conspiracy or not, but boy, does it make you connect the dots. This article helped me understand and appreciate the political landscape a bit more. I think that we are often (okay I'll speak for myself)...I am oblivious to the strong undercurrents at play in the international arena.

I don't know why I'm surprised by the machinations and the types of thinking that go on. Truly, is a political plan any different than a business plan? I'd now argue no. I've spent my corporate life having to devise and execute these plans. Why should the business of running a country be any different. How are you going to get oil? How are you going take care of your deficit? How do you keep an edge on your competitors? These are all necessary things. And when I see these alliances, strange allegiances, covert plans, overt initiatives, I've naively been surprised. I suppose I just live in a bubble world.

1 comment:

russell1200 said...

The Soviets lost their empire and ,as Russians, they want at least some of it back. They have been having a very hard time. From what bits and pieces you can see, they appear to be failing more then they are succeeding.

Of course if Putin manages to bring some chaos to their government that would be a plus. The more likely result is that he will bring back order, but re-entrench the bureaucratic incompetence found with the Soviets. This is not the stuff of reborn empires.

The US of course is powerful, but has shown an ineptitude in its recent activities not matched since (pre-World War I) Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany. That this bumbling diplomacy can be construed into a well thought out strategy is fanciful beyond the pale. It is fairly clear that the administration thought that it would be a quick war, and that Iraq oil would pay for the expenses. The lack of in depth planning pre-invasion for the post-invasion control of Iraq has been pretty clearly documented. Chaney's earlier delusions of a pax-Americana change none of that.