Monday, December 18, 2006

The Chum-enator


This is Macy, some month's ago as a sweet puppy. She's 40 lbs now. Another picture to follow. I have this habit of assigning odd nicknames to animals. My mother has this silly dog back when I was in college. Her name was Sheba, a part collie/shepherd mix. For some reason, I called her Chumley. I've resurrected that name in a bastardized variation. I call Macy, Chum-chum. Yeah, it's stupid. Little Chum-chum is part American bull-dog/lab-beagle mix.

I've never NOT had a dog in my life. Not one second has my existence on earth been bereft of a dog. However, after being around dogs for 46 years, I had to buy a dog obedience book. We also have 2 bird dogs (Lucie 13.5, Greta, 10.5) and a poodle, miniature (Chloe, 14) (miniature). No obedience problems there. As an aside, I have three cats.

I found an expensive pair of shoes--chumified. I found a not-so-expensive pair of shoes--chumified. Remember my Montaigne book? Chumified.When your 18 year old daughter brings a puppy home and says, "I'll take care of it. (unspoken--I'm going to school, I have a boyfriend, I work and I'll never be here you sucker)" I want you to remember Chum. Everything that you hold dear in life might be chummified.

These material things are subject to puppy curiosity and worse. That is not why I need a dog obedience book. I was walking my dogs when little Chum thought it okay to bust up into a neighbor's yard to challenge their yellow and black labs. Each was twice as big as she. She ignored my commands. I managed to get her and hauled all 40 lbs of her 50 yards away. I was gasping and wheezing. Had there been an altercation, I would likely be writing about shredded Chum.

Over the holidays I will devour my dog obedience books and learn the ways of the dog whisperer's. I'll show chum who is Alpha! I have read Cesar Milan's book. It helped a bit, but I needed more specific instruction.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of Macy!!

They "humanize" ( !! ) your blog.

russell1200 said...

Your telling tales! That little innocent creature wouldn't eat Montaigne without provocation.

You have leather shoes, and a leather bound book. You keep wrapping things in dead animal hides and she keeps thinking they are samples.

My little one is a little over 40 pounds and built like a linebacker. He is always on. But I don't think he has been eating any leather goods. However we did find one of our (breakable) Christmas decorations in the basket of his tricycle in the garage.

Leisa♠ said...

You just wait, Russell, your little line backer will, just like little Chum, will ruin everything you hold dear!

Nona, I'm glad you like the pictures. She's a sweetie pie. Did I mention that she sleeps in our bed? She was such a needy puppy that it was easier to put her up in the bed than listen to her whine. The other dogs were not very beneficent in sharing their bed (and all she wanted to do was cuddle).

Anonymous said...

I have friends who had a dog I really enjoyed. When I came to spend the night, I always got the dog. It was a rule!!