Saturday, January 13, 2007

Water and Oil

Water: Yes, I think that it will be a scarce, therefore precious, commodity, but that is not what I'm writing about. I'm confident that I have spend enough at Costco (formerly Price Club) over the years to buy a couple of homes. I also used to have a Sam's card but I came to the point where I didn't want to pay more fees. I also have a BJ's card, because it is 15 minutes closer to my home than Costco. Warehouse clubs could be the subject of a whole 'nother post. My subject is different.

The real kicker for warehouse clubs is that each trip there will be one magpie item. You know, something that is flashy and catches your attention in such a way that you are convinced that you cannot live without it. Worse, you know that if you do not act on it, it will be forever gone. My tabletop water fountain was one such item. I finally put it together, and it is in my office. It really does a nice job of providing some "white noise", though Mark and I agree that we still find ourselves with a momentary thought of a plumbing problem. It's not copper and not real slate, but for $40 it was easy and attractive. So if you've ever longing look at one of these, they are a nice addition to your office. If you are feeling particularly creative, you can make your own.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_containers_pots/article/0,1785,HGTV_3562_1382821,00.html

When we designed our home, we started from the get-go with a room designated as an office. It's a sizable room, 14 x 12. It's right off the kitchen and the great room--with a door into each--so even when I'm ensconced in work, I'm close to my family. The downstairs half-bath is off this room. I have fairly nice office furniture so long as you don't look too closely! I worked in commercial office furniture, so I picked up a nice wood desk, and wood 2 drawer lateral file. I have a printer table that serves as my computer table. I have a lovely Brayton leather Spinz chair that I have had for several years. The sad truth that I learned some years ago is that there are not many executive chairs made to fit women. I tried about a 1/2 dozen chairs before I settled on this one. This one works nicely, and if I ever go work for another corporation, I will take my chair with me as I have for the last two jobs. If you are going to spend 10 hours a day someplace, you need to be comfortably seated. Eveything is within reach--printer, computer, desk and files. A cockpit if you will.

The unfortunate thing, is that my office is so comfortable, that I spend too much time in it. It also has a piano and a 1929 Victrola. My grandfather (an immigrant) bought a Gulbransen electric player piano (with copper scrolls) and an RCA Victrola for $1,000 in1929. The Victrola is walnut and sports a large footprint taking up about 12 sqf and about 4 ft tall. I still have the original box with the needles. The turntable and arm are solid brass. It took 4 people to move it from my Dad's house to here.

The Gulbransen is still at my dad's; my piano is an upright Baldwin. I taught myself how to play (terribly I might add) on that the Gulbransen. My mother would play, and as I taught myself to read music, I would mimic her play cadence. Muscle memory is a terrific thing if you learn how to finger a piece correctly. It's a terrible thing if you learn a piece incorrectly. But I've always played for myself. I even took piano lessons as an adult, but with working and children, it was not something that I could fit in. I would go to my lesson feeling guilty because I had not devoted enough time to practice. After a while I eliminated the guilt by eliminating the lessons.

So here I sit with my water fountain, piano and Victrola--with food and elimination facilities closely at hand! Now onto oil. Do you read John Mauldin? He has a terrific piece today on oil. I found it timely as I had just written about the commodities and how declining oil may not be such a good thing. Of course, he expounds upon that theme more lucidly than I, and you can find it here.

http://frontlinethoughts.com/index.asp

My ERF recovered some on Friday. Most of the oils bounced well. I will decide this weekend at what point I'm going to exit. I bought it right, and I don't know that I have a lot more downside exposure. KB recovered and IVGN continue to act well.

No comments: