Friday, February 22, 2008

Anais Nin

(click on book image to be transported to Amazon)

I'm in the camp of not knowing who Anais Nin is as Vince Farrell professed in his last missive. But we are committed to DaVincian principles here--Corporalita, , Curiosita and Erotica---oops! Erotica is not one of them, but certainly a category Nin explored. Here's a brief excerpt:
"Anaïs Nin is perhaps best remembered as a diarist. Her journals, which span several decades, provide a deeply explorative insight into her personal life and relationships. Nin was acquainted, often quite intimately, with a number of prominent authors, artists, and psychoanalysts and other prominent figures. Her journals portray these persons in a profound depth of analysis and frankness of description. Moreover, as a female author describing a primarily masculine constellation of celebrities, Nin's journals have acquired importance as a counterbalancing perspective." Please visit Wikipedia for the full entry here.

I still marvel at our ability to have so much instantaneous factual information at our fingertips. I've tried to cultivate the habit of looking up "stuff" that I'm not familiar with. Words are generally the category that "stuff" most generally falls into. I learned that Nin's second husband (with whom she was married while still married to her first husband) had her unexpurgated journals. 'Unexpurgated' was a new word for me. Though I inferred the meaning, I did look it up to be sure. You can too by clicking on the link.

With the exception of typos that I may later see (or have pointed out to me by my quality control panel), you can be assured that you get unexpurgated posts here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL- 2nd_ave