Saturday, February 09, 2008

Chinese Lunar Year--Year of the Rat

(I'm doing this post while my husbando watches the inaugural "Bud Shoot Out". These poor guys have been deprived of NASCAR racing excitement for some months. My preference would be to watch a movie, but the cable on TV is off limits. Accordingly, I'm bringing you 'stuff').

The above is an image of the U. S. Postage Stamp commemorating the Chinese New Year--Year of the Rat. I took a brief reprieve to actually order some of these stamps. If you've never ordered stamps on line, you are missing a real treat. You can click here and see all of the cool 41 cent stamps you've been missing--in addition to the above. They only charge you $1 to ship. It truly is a convenient way to buy stamps--and always more selection than the post office.

While we westerners are more logical, astrology plays a very important part in eastern culture--India and China (though their systems are different). These systems are very ancient and represent the first attempts of systematizing observable experience and melding it with fantasy (myth). I always find it interesting that different systems seem to work in a series of 12 segments.

From Wikipedia, these are the birthdays for Year of the Rat

I see that I'm a Metal Rat. Interestingly, the Chinese zodiac uses metal, water, wood, earth and fire as their elemental signs. The zodiac that you are familiar with uses water, air, fire and earth. I really know very little about Chinese astrology--I see that I'm a metal rat. At first I was pleased to see this description:

"Being the first sign of the Chinese zodiacs, rats are leaders, pioneers and conquerors. They are charming, passionate, charismatic, practical and hardworking. Rat people are endowed with great leadership skills and are the most highly organized, meticulous, and systematic of the twelve signs."
I then read on. . . I realize that I'm really just a pain in the ass:
"Behind the smiles and charm, rats can be terribly obstinate and controlling, insisting on having things their way no matter what the cost. These people tend to have immense control of their emotions, which they may use as a tool to manipulate and exploit others, both emotionally and mentally. Rats are masters of mind games and can be very dangerous, calculative and downright cruel if the need arises. Quick-tempered and aggressive, they will not think twice about exacting revenge on those that hurt them in any way. Rats need to learn to relax sometimes, as they can be quite obsessed with detail, intolerant and strict, demanding order, obedience, and perfection."
The very last line resonated--for just a couple of posts ago I quipped about needed to schedule fun. And I did find that damn error in the Yahoo database. Hmmm.....

I also see that I'm incompatible with Sheep. My husband is a sheep! Sigh.

It might be fun to explore on your own. As I was searching for references for you--and I elected to punt as there were so many available, I ran across a website where I could come up with my own Chinese Name.

Here it is:

Dong Lan Shou is my Chinese name. You can click on the graphic and explore your own.

No comments: