Friday, February 15, 2008

Let's Revisit Armstrong

Oh, I'll get to Armstrong in a minute or two.....


I hope that you had a nice Valentine's Day. Our dinner was very nice. The crabcake recipe that I used is my absolute favorite. Jumbo lump crabmeat is $25/lb. It was $5 more at Ukrops (grocery store) than the local seafood store. I opted for the local seafood.

Also while foraging I picked up a pint of oysters. I had invited my BIL/SIL over to have dinner with us. My BIL does not like raw oysters. I remembered my Henri Charpentier (inventor of Crepes Suzette, very famous chef) cook book--found at used book store. It's a combination of recipes/memoirs. Many of his recipes are simple, but wonderful, and named after famous people.

His 'Oysters, William Pinkney" is a wonderful combination of bacon (though I substituted Smithfield ham), butter, garlic, parsley that is drizzled on oysters that have been dried and dipped in bread crumbs and then baked. (400 for 10 minutes). They were a welcomed addition. I also found fresh raspberries. I used those to garnish my Valrhona chocolate puddings. They were so good. I did something I normally don't do; I used a shortcut. I bought some Reddi-Whip rather than whipping cream manually (with a mixer).

The credit markets are still in turmoil. I'm still struck by Martin Armstrong's study of the 1929 market crash, most particularly his discussion of the bond turmoil. Because it was off the exchanges (think about our current derivatives and other miasma of credit crap that do not show up 'anywhere'.). You may want to revisit that post, which includes the reference to his paper here.

No comments: