Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Earnings to Surprise and Delight Us

I'm not sure if we are in the Twilight Zone or not, but there is no mistaken that folks want to get a party started. It's never good to come to the party wearing the wrong stuff--DUG and SMN were definitely wrong. I got out of both, but note before a little damage. The DUG wasn't too bad, as I had bought it to hedge some energy stuff.

My BNI puts were my stupid stock trick. I don't understand the love for the rails. They are getting fuel surcharges. I guess it is no different than sales that exceed expectations due to foreign currency gains.

Last night and today, I went through charts. I cannot buy off of charts alone, I have to see some fundamentals. So my eyes hurt from too much screen staring. I've notice within the last 60 days the screen is not so easy to see. While I don't "need" reading glasses, I find that I can read longer at night before feeling the need to turn in. I have distance correction, and I have to take those glasses off to read. I take them off to cook and eat and that sort of thing. But I need them for TV. But the screen 'thing' which has never been an issue, now is.

I bought some CAGC today. It's a Chinese liquid fertilizer company. They have profits. It's a bulletin board stock that I bought at $2.77 Not a recommendation--you know that I do not do that. Why did I buy it? Good industry, profitable, and under the radar. I didn't see until two minutes ago this article. mentioning it. Here's the chart:





My spec account is $18, 6xx. SMN torpedoed it. So much for my 'thesis'. Some are good; some are just wrongheaded.

Today was a milestone day in one positve way---I was able to get my running shoe on my foot. No sock--in fact, my foot (I affectionately call it my Frankenstein foot, because it doesn't always 'feel' as though it belongs to me!) is such that I couldn't really tell that I didn't have a sock on it. But, to put this shoe on was real progress. I walked outside and in the woods with the puppitos. I was careful, but it was the best walk I've had sans cast. I'm amazed at how much stronger I get every day. Our bodies are damn wonderful at times. At times our bodies turn against us. Right now, I'm happy to be enjoying a body in reasonable cooperation, though I feel like 'Bride of Frankenstein" foot!

I am also happy because I'm happy with the way the blog looks. I really like the shade of brown as the background and the text color. If you only knew how many hours (and of course you've suffered through my many choices) I spent, you'd shake your head and laugh!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm still delirious at the prices for commodities. At some point in time I'm going to have to learn how to set my disbelief by the wayside."

Leisa... well said...

Personally I think the market is backing itself into a corner.

On the one hand - they keep talking about strong global demand being the reason.

Despite the 'decoupling' hoopla, many of the BRICS markets aren't exactly singing the same tune.

And what happens to commodity prices if the US economy recovers
2H08 like they say?

According to the above logic (demand driven) - commodity prices will then go even higher and higher.

On the other hand many say it is supply driven.

Maybe so.

But why weren't all these supposed supply bottlenecks apparent last year - when the global economy was humming along at its greatest strength?

It's suspicious that all these supposed supply issues or demand explanations - all started appearing in November as the US dollar started falling.

IMO an investment made simply because someone's currency is falling - isn't an investment at all - it is a speculation - and crowd behaviour.

In fact I've never heard a commodity bull ever give a coherent answer as to why from a 'fundamental' perspective commodities fall when the US dollar rises?


So of the three current 'song and dances':

BRICS
supply/demand
a 2H08 recovery

One of these is wrong..

I've been waiting patiently.
I'm looking to start shorting commodities soon - but would prefer if the Euro went over 160 first - do draw in all the 'late to the party' types.

Also I don't want to get in the way of a running freight train - until it's almost out of fuel.

Anonymous said...

leisa/NG- when the market's in the twilight zone (and we all know it's pointless to argue right and wrong when trying to wrap our arms around market behavior- something NG understands well, i think), changing one's trading style from 'logical' to 'illogical' entries and exits can be very beneficial...vad graifer distills years of hard-won lessons about market psychology into a few paragraphs on his blog (realitytrader.com)...sorta reminds me of listening to self-taught musicians explain their techniques-> when you have to play/trade to eat, you learn fast and you don't worry too much about how something works as long as it works...in this market, trading against (or at least ahead of) the crowd + changing your mind every other day has worked...

2nd_ave

PS- NG, i like your thoughts about keeping off-balance sheet assets off-balance...;)

Anonymous said...

Leisa, Glad to read that the cast is off and you are up to wearing a shoe. I still have a mental picture of you tooling around on that stool.:) I'll bet you could corner better than any NASCAR driver.:) Gatordave1

Leisa♠ said...

Going against the tide....running in front of a bus or worse a freight train...running with scissors. All things that we are counseled against. I'm much better at quelling my inner contrarian--I should also note that when I capitulate,a high proportion of the time if I'm short it it a climax, and if I'm long a nadir!

Over the last 24 months or so I've learned: (1) things can go longer and further and longer than you might expect--nice to keep in mind for lunacy that seems to defy logic whether in your favor or not; (2) thesis are great, but it takes the market a while to "get" it--meaning the market will milk its current trend until every shred of rationality is blown away and it is shivering cold and naked--so being early can be costly.

I REALLY thought the recession 'stuff' would bring commodities down sooner. I still think that it will but....in a double short, you get double the pain on the wrong side!

Leisa♠ said...

GatorD--that stool was an initial lifesaver! But after a while, I realized that I was blowing my right knee out while saving arms/armpits.

Now, you should have seen me in the motorized cart at BJ's. My husband was with me...he was my 'spotter'. I did refrain from wearing any Nascar apparel. Might have scared folks!

Anonymous said...

Ballooning (foot-like?) receivables and advances...