Friday, April 04, 2008

Loews Corporation

I don't know if you are familiar with Loews Corporation. They have their fingers and toes in quite a bit of things--Here is a snapshot from the NASDAQ site (used with permission). Please click on the graphic to be transported there.


Here's a chart (CTML):

AS you can see, it has been a bit beleaguered as many of the insurance companies have been. In fact, long term readers my remember when I bought some puts on this last year. I closed them profitably, but left lots of money on the table. You know what, though? Since I've been closing my options (when I use them, which is not all that often) leaving lots of money on the table either for puts or calls, I've had very few options close worthless. So, I'll keep leaving money on the table and taking real profits! I've certainly learned the value of base hits, but everyone wants a home run now and again. I got mine last year with SEED. I'm not sure what this year's will be.
I bought some June 45 calls on this. They are in quite a few things, and that is the purpose of my sharing this with you. Certainly it is not a recommendation of any sort. The following is from the company's website.


Loews Corporation, a holding company, is one of the largest diversified financial corporations in the United States. Its principal subsidiaries are listed below. For information on classes of common stock issued by Loews, click here.
CNA Financial Corporation (89 percent owned) is one of the largest property-casualty insurance organizations in the United States.
(NYSE: CNA)
www.cna.com
Lorillard, Inc. (wholly owned) is America's oldest tobacco company. Its principal products are marketed under the brand names Newport, Kent, True, Maverick and Old Gold. Substantially all of its sales are in the United States.
www.lorillard.com
Boardwalk Pipeline Partners, LP (70 percent owned) is engaged through its subsidiaries in the operation of interstate natural gas pipeline systems.
(NYSE: BWP)
www.bwpmlp.com
Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc. (51 percent owned), one of the world's largest offshore drilling companies, offering comprehensive drilling services to the energy industry around the world. The company owns 44 offshore drilling rigs.
(NYSE: DO)
www.diamondoffshore.com
HighMount Exploration & Production LLC (wholly owned) is engaged in exploration and production of natural gas.
Loews Hotels (wholly owned) is one of the country's top luxury lodging companies. It operates hotels and resorts in the United States and Canada.
www.loewshotels.com

No comments: