Monday, April 07, 2008

Marinara Sauce

From: The Great Cooks Cookbook
Copyright 1974 by The good Cooking School, Inc.

The above mentioned cookbook is one of my special finds at a used bookstore. This is the most fabulous recipe. It is very easy--easier still if you have a food processor. I use this as a base sauce and add meat (ground turkey or a mix of veal/pork/beef or beef)--we rarely juse Marinara sauce on its own. With these meat accoutrements, the fine sieving called for is not required (to my eye and taste). Plus I add Italian sausages that have been cut in 1/2 inch slices and cooked and drained (brown first and then place a top on so that it cooks through). Drain, and add to sauce. I will tell you that I do NOT strain this when used with meat. You can double this easily, just adjust to a heavy bottomed dutch oven.

1/2 cup olive oil
4 cups coarsely chopped onions [Note: I cut in quarters and using on/off pulse chop roughly in food processor]
2 small carrots, peeled and cut into rounds (about 1 cup) [Note: I grate in food processor].
3 cloves garlic, finely minced [I run through a press]
8 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes with their liquid (about 2.5 28 ounce cans). [I used crushed]
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 lb of butter [I omit this with the meat addition]
1 tablespoon finely minced Italian Parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 2 teaspoons of dried basil [I used Herbs de Provence]

In a 10-inch glass-ceramic skillet, heat the oil; add the onions, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring until vegetables turn golden brown.

Meanwhile, strain the tomatoes through a sieve into a bowl and pus the pulp through with a wooden spoon. Discard the seeds. [if you used crushed tomatoes, you avoid this!]

Add the pureed tomatoes to the vegetables in the skillet; season to taste with salt and pepper. Partilly cover the skillet and simmer for 15 minutes.

Set a sieve (conical, chinois type if possible0 into a bowl; pur the sauce into it, and press with a wooden spoon to push the solids through. Pour sauce back inot the skillet; add the butter and herbs. Partly cover the skillet, and simmer 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally. this is best freshly made, but it can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for 2 days.

No comments: