Thursday, November 26, 2009

T Minus 11.5 Hours

It is 6:21 a.m. as I write. The day of the big feast. I have been awake for almost 3 hours, and up and at 'em for 2. The funniest things occur to me upon waking. I awakened to my subconscious bubbling up an unpleasant thought: I have brussells sprouts on the menu, I've nothing to make it with. Yes, it was on the list. My first shopping stop was BJ's--bless them for have marscapone cream cheese! My second stop, a regular grocery store was very close, and everything seemed so fresh in my memory from my list making and my BJ's foraging that I was sure that the few items that I needed would be a cinch. Oh, I'll remember. Last words.....last words.

It's like those brilliant investing ideas that one has....you have to write it down. Then....you have to look at your list. It's really quite simple. Why circumvent a simple system?

I'm going to work out my logistics for the meal today. Desserts are done. I elected to make a last minute substitution for a different pecan pie--one that calls for honey and browned butter. Browning butter without the benefit of caffeine at 5 a.m. is not something that I would recommend. Always best to have extra butter (and I have lots!). First batch was blech. In cleaning the pan for the next batch I burned my hand on the pot--of course I knew that it was still hot, but precision at that time in the morning is too much to expect (like shopping without a list). It is going to be a heavenly pie, though, and it is out of oven, cooling--glistening brown and fragrant.

I'll send my husbando to the store with the list of final things. I'm going to the garden to pick turnips for the potato turnip gratin. And I'm not too worried about not finding Brussels sprouts at the store...they never get sold out!

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: