Friday, March 09, 2007

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH

Computer Goofiness:

This is the natural post to have post-computer goofiness.

While I have all of my data files, I'm unable to access my PST (data file) for Outlook. I was initially relieved when the tech guy said that all my data files were intact. But when I try to import my former data file, it says that the versions are incompatible. (Sigh). I've lost all of my addresses, e-mails---I guess that is one way to wipe the slate. For some reason the file that I have is not recognized once I reinstall Outlook.

Movie Recommendation:

Other People's Lives--It's German, so Nona and Russell could probably go to the movie without the aid of subtitles! It is a beautiful, beautiful movie. It's a little on the longish side (2+ hrs), but it is beautifully crafted, incredibly moving film. The story line is well written and combines art, ambition, love, betrayal, fear, loneliness, sacrifice and, above all, hope and transformation. The characters are both well drawn and well acted. The movie feels very intimate and even though the pace is slow at times there is always this underlying tension that grabs you and makes you feel as if you are part of the story. Anyway, I hope that you will see it.

Today's Rant:

As if my computer failing were not enough (yes, and I realize that in the perspective of real want in the world, this is nothing but a petty indulgence--I always keep perspective)....After the movie, I went with my friend to an adjacent Chinese restaurant. A really nice restaurant. She order soup and an appetizer and I ordered an entree. We ate our respective orders with no sharing. When we received the bill, there was a place setting charge of $2. When I inquired about it, the waitress said, "You will have to complain up front, they made me do it." The manager came over and rather gruffly explained that the charge was because when one person orders an appetizer and not a full meal, it was their policy to charge a place setting fee. We protested (and the charge was removed, but ungraciously), and I was really quite angry (though I was polite). I felt shafted. My friend's appetizer and soup cost as much as my meal. Not everyone wants to eat a full meal, and I frequently only get an appetizer as my dinner. I think a $15 per head revenue was pretty good take for them. For their wanting to get $16 per head, they now get $0 per head, because I will NEVER go back to that restaurant again. Such a misguided policy. My friend and I, she was the president of the company I last worked for, noted that these unintended consequences are part of misguided policies. So think about that in your work life.

3 comments:

russell1200 said...

"It's German, so ... Russell could probably go to the movie without the aid of subtitles."

Absolutely...until they say anything.

Of course a Chinese restaurant charged you more, they knew you were at least tenuously connected with "T" so they charged you extra. First "T's" friends, then "T', then Taiwan. It's what he has been trying to warn us about.

Leisa♠ said...

Hmmm....one has to be careful with one's affiliations!

This stupid $2 charge really has me torqued...a reminder that I need to exhale and "let it go"...!$%^$^$#!%#$

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of sympathy for restaurant operators. It's a tough, tough business.

I'm thrilled somebody wants to be in the business -- I love to eat out if the food is good, and sometimes even if it isn't: it saves me the problem/headache of cooking -- but I truly am impressed that anyone tries the business at all. It's a difficult, challenging business.

And, yes, you're right. One unhappy experience may mean that the the restaurant (or any vendor) loses the stream of income that you (or someone) represents over many years/decades.

I think the $2 charge was really annoying. I also think that the restaurant owners/operator would have been wiser to be really, really gracious in eliminating it, especially if the extra charge had not been noted on the menu.

But I also think some of us can be more understanding.

That said, I, too, have even walked out of restaurants before ordering when I found them to be too exigent. One restaurant that friends and I wanted to try charged a tad over reasonably for the entree. Okay, so we were sports: we wanted to try the food. But then it turned out that every other item one might want (vegetable, salad, etc., etc.) was a la carte, with prices starting -- starting, mind you -- at (if memory serves) $5.

The (overpriced drinks) were prepared by a (get this) mixologist!!

I bought and paid for my (overpriced) drink, but we all left to find another restaurant, which is easy to do in New York City.

The friends with whom I went to the new restaurant live across the street from it. They won't be back.

Still, I'd say maybe you should "let it go" and give the Chinese restaurant another chance, assuming you like it.

PS: I don't understand German. And at this point, I'm not very good with any of the languages that I once spoke so fluently. One must keep them up, you know. Sigh.