Friday, March 02, 2007

Stop it!

As I'm feeling under the weather this week, I've been exposed, too much I think, to the media. Last night I watched the history channel, and I'm now preparing for the inevitable decline (perhaps extinction) of humanity on the winter soltice (12.21) of 2012. Nah, not really. I didn't even stock up on provisions for the year 2000. Wasn't THAT bust indicative of how mass hysteria can get into your bones?

One happy media intersect was watching an episode of Mad TV with Bob Newhart as a guest in a skit. He played a psychiatrist, what else? The young woman who was seeking his counsel had a multitude of problems. Her leading problem was fear of being buried alive. She went on and on. He said, "I have just two words for you. You may want to write them down." He pauses waiting for her to get out her pen and paper. She says, "It's only two words, I think that I can remember." He leans forward and say "are you ready?" She nods. He then says leaning forward, "Stop it." "Stop it?" she asks incredulously. She then proceeds to explain her relationship with her mother. He shakes his head and says, "We don't go there." Stop it!"

There was alot of wisdom in the funny little episode! The next time you find yourself engaging in bad behavior--including the stupid things that you know that you do with your investments (they fall into the too much category: too much...hope, trading, impulsiveness, fear etc). Remember the inimitable Bob Newhart: STOP IT!

4 comments:

russell1200 said...

So every time we disagree with one your posts we should just say: Stop it!...Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!..


Works for me. LOL ... Stop it!

Leisa♠ said...

No, disagree away, but if you start calling me names and throw tomatoes I will invoke a simple 2 word admonition, but it is unlikely to be "stop it!" [g]

Anonymous said...

Dear Abby,

I have been advised that at any time my behavior and/or thinking patterns become excessive, that I should just STOP IT!

I have a (small) addiction to a blog named theperplexedinvestor. I visit every day, sometimes more than once.

I know I should just STOP IT...but I can't.

Can you help me?

Leisa♠ said...

Nona--only stop harmful behavior. Visiting hear is safe and hygienic! I have only one word for you: "Continue"!